Braids vs Mangrove in combo with Just Friends

What are some Mangrove-esque tricks on Braids? The Just Friends demo is sounding so sweet I was suddenly looking at the full Whimsical Raps range before I ended up plannimg for 3 sisters and Just Friends. Just Friends seems perfect for not feeling the need for another Maths.

Polytides, huh.

Aaah that’s what 'Friends is for… I’ll need to investigate Tides closer.

Yes, a Polytides running at fairly low sample rates, judging by these remarks by the module designer:

Finally the wave impulses at audio rate push the Mangrove formant concept to a new plateau- Timbres are more gritty & glittery depending on your perspective though with multiple outputs begging for filtering.

I’m curious to know what processor he is running it on, which DAC he’s using (or just PWM), and what the output sample rate is on those 6 channels.

Audio DACs are not ideal for this task because of the ripples added by the digital reconstruction filter - unwanted for slow envelopes. So we have to shop in the “instrumentation” DAC department and there aren’t many choices. DAC128S085CIMT is an option, but it’s just 12-bit. For more resolution, DAC8568 and boy it’s not cheap!

In terms of CPU it’s fairly easy on an STM32F4, doable too on an F3.

Pichenettes, yes, that’s how you would do it, which is the right way. I’m just curious to see how he has engineered his module - I suspect rather more compromises than you might be prepare to make for an MI product. A photo of the processor board, please, Magic Internet Fairy! And some photos of those Mungo boards while you’re at it.

Something like ifixit or Marcus fuller tear downs of Eurorack modules would be a smashing success.

That and a comparison tool for pricerunner type shootouts. Outputs 2 / 6: Quick start: yes / yes. Reheat toast mode: yes / no. Empty crumbs tray: no / yes.

Will this forum become a place to badmouth other manufacturer’s work by praising Olivier’s indisputably perfect ways? Trent (Whimsical) is a good designer and a good engineer, there is no reason to believe it will be less “right”.

I was using “right” in the sense of “textbook”. All designs involve a trade-off between price and performance, or “correctness”. For example, if you are designing a quad LFO with 3 simultaneous outputs per channel, using PWM rather than 12 channels of DAC running at 48kHz is a sensible compromise, because an 8-channel and a 4 channel DAC will cost a lot and make the module much less affordable, and the precision and linearity of a high-end DAC is arguably not required. OK? Will this forum become a place in which questions about how other modules are engineered cannot be asked?

While we’re at it, does anyone know how the Bastl CV Trinity is implemented, and what it’s specs are (in terms of output sample rate etc)? It also has 6 channels of LFO/low-audio/envelope output, but there have been reports of some “steppiness” in its output. Again, that is not badmouthing it, just an honest question about how it is engineered, because it appears to pack a lot of functionality into a small and relatively low-cost module.

here’s JF modulated at audio rates I like it