Braids tuning knobs

I’m wondering what the notches in the tuning knobs are supposed to mean? Is Braids suppose to be at a particular tuning when both COARSE and FINE are at 12 o’clock? I’d assume that they’d be in “A” or “C” as those are pretty common starting points but mine is in neither. Not really tuned at all. I think it’s somewhere between Bb and A.
Just wondering. If they mean nothing, why are they there? It’s like a speed bump if you are trying to manually sweep. For the record, it would be cool, for me anyways, if they did mean something. One less thing to tune when playing live.

You can do the V/Oct calibration procedure with the knobs in this position.

Then, it’ll be easy to recall the configuration with C2 (C1) = 1V ; C4 (C3) = 3V.

But I agree there are some serious arguments against those - I might ditch those in a future production run.

If I can tune it up without messing anything up, it would be very handy!

this is something that has come up before, originally there was a detented pot used for the tune pot on the x0xb0x but it quickly became apparent that the accuracy of the notch was a good 20% and it caused more issues than it was worth. One of those things that look good on paper until you go measure them

I kinda like the notches since they make it easy to play Braids in tune with other gear. When the notches go, there should be a way to make Braids “snap” to the correct tuning regardless of the current tuning pots position IMHO.

@altitude Braids is digital, so the x0xb0x issue doesn’t apply here.

I dont think it matters, its the fact that there is a really stretchy region of the response of the pot when there is an indent there and that will factor in if you’re scanning it digitally or using it in an analog realm

When it’s digitally you can compensate so that everything close to the calibrated value snaps to it. You can’t do that when the pot it wired directly to the CV of an analogue oscillator.

Given thats its digital why would be difficult to implement a meaningful tuning scheme? If youve go detentes to work fro there should be no problem. And youve got a display if you wanted to show the notes

If every pot is at best 20% accurate, then you will have a whole lot of unusable values around the detent that you can’t use for anything, since digital manipulation would force anything 10-15% on either side of the detent to be locked to a note… +You probably can’t rely on the detent being accurate either, so you will probably need a larger range, and for some pots the first or last few detents might even slip outside of the normal forced tun

I think best would be the Pot snaps digitally to the Notch and gets more responsive the farer away you get from the notch - kind of progressive tuning curve. This way you can tune in precisely around the knob for fractions of a Cent. The fact a pot is just ±10% accurate to the specified maximum value is not really important as you use it as a Voltage Divider and it divides regardless if the actual Max Resitance. A fixed angle/resistance relation is what you want :wink:

Or, to put it another way; use the tuning pots to… tune and use your favorite attenuator module for those pitch sweeps. :wink:

whats an attenuator? what is a module?

Whats a braids anyway?

whathwhat?