Braids; is there a way to find out which is older?

I have two Braids modules of which I might sell one in the future, preferably the oldest one, certainly if they’re years apart. I don’t know if anything could be made out of stickers on the pcb? 1 of them has a distinct ‘click’ feel on most of the pots when centered, does that give away clues?

Detented pots are older, also the older one requires +5V on the main power header. Not sure how many revisions there were.

Thanks a lot for your help Latigidon, appreciate it! Now I also know what these ‘click’pots are officially called :slightly_smiling_face:
Both require +5v I found out, so their production date might not be so far apart.

The SCP YY WW code indicates the manufacturing year and week number.

1 Like

Ah cheers, thanks a bunch!

I asked myself:is this important,the age of a pcb?

The firmware version and maybe hardware revision, would be more important to me.

Upgrading firmwares seems less than trivial - the audio file method is often tricky to do, from what I’ve read, and there seems to be a special little adapter needed, to do it the ST-Link way.

I’m not clear if there’s a way to determine the firmware version other than finding release notes for different versions, and testing for the new features being present. Maybe there’s a firmware version history document somewhere?

The firmware version is displayed, it’s the last item in the menu.

1 Like

Cool. Thanks, pichenettes.

I don’t actually own a proper Braids, but I am interested in them.

I just have a cut down Arduino Due version (using the Due 12 bit DAC), at the moment, which doesn’t have the display. It’s based on a version that was ported to the Microbe Modular Equation Composer.

I figured out which version that was probably based on, by looking at release notices - I decided it was likely to be from the last official release, based on the waveform options, but I can’t be absolutely sure.

Sorry for necrobumping this topic…

I`m thinking of buying an OG Braids on the secondhand market. I understood that there are two versions. V1 < 09-2015 and V2 > 09-2015. Someone could recognize the V1 by the 16 pins connector and the V2 by the 8 pins connector.

V1

• 15 mA +12V
  • 15 mA -12V
  • 85 mA 5V

V2

• 100 mA +12V
  • 15 mA -12V
  • 0 mA 5V

Besides the difference in power consumption, I understood the V2 has

• 12-bit CV capture.
  • 96kHz, 16-bit audio processing

So. A few questions.
-What is the resolution of the CV capture on V1?
-Is V1 12-bit?
-Are there any other differences?
-Is there any audible difference between a V1 and V2?

The new version introduces the following changes:

• Jacks are 10mm tall instead of 11mm tall, making mechanical construction simpler.
  • Pots no longer have a center detent.
  • Use of the +12V rail (as opposed to +5V) to generate the voltages needed for the digital ICs. As a consequence, a simple 2x5 pin power connector is used (instead of 2x8 pin).
  • Built-in -10V reference (as opposed to using the -12V rail) for the CV acquisition circuit. This prevents unwanted modulations or calibration changes when the -12V supply is not clean and stable.
  • Clipping/folding bug in the attenuverter circuit fixed (only one person ever reported it – you need fairly large CVs to observe it).
  • The fine tune knob operates in the digital domain (as opposed to as an offset applied in the analog domain on the FM CV acquisition channel). Practically, this allows fine tuning to still be used when the module is in META mode.

Everything else is the same (in particular anything related to sound generation) and both modules run the same code.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the clear explanation! Then for me it would probably make no (real) difference if I would get a V1 or V2. Thanks again!