Braids 'hacking'

This discussion was created from comments split from: Braids Hacking.

I´m going to post a picture how I have already hacked Braids, kind of - LOL

Here:

This is what happened after trying to pull the original pot of the encoder shaft, just shortly after it had arrived… encoder desoldered, dismantled and repaired, soldered back in: everything works again.

Is it that I´m alone laughing about this?! :smiley:

I just dont want to be the girl/boy (depends on your personal orientation) you pick up on the Oktoberfest :wink:

@fcd72 HAHAHAHAHA

Well, 1st Oktoberfest is not a place where I would go to begin with, 2nd I wouldn´t pick up anyone anywhere. 3rd I have enough girls around/with me all the time, no need for random pickings.

Also I had posted this as kind of a joke answer to a guy who asked if anyone had experience in hacking Braids, pichenettes separeated it :-/ took the fun away.

The Braids software programming question is a serious topic and I’d like to be able to redirect newcomers to this question in the future. It won’t work well if they find this topic derailed and let’s be honest, your post was literally asking for derailment.

Derailment? Me? Jojjelito? Rosch?

oh snap! shut down…

anyways, back to the actual topic…
i’ve been talking with a friend about an idea to make a pseudo expander for braids to enable cv control over bit depth, sample rate, env type, etc…whatever was displayed on the screen at the time basically and to have cv control over fm and modulation…
you think this would be possible olivier? i’m correct in assuming that only one menu based parameter would be controllable at a time right?

we could also possibly have an additional trigger/gate in to simulate the encoder press too yeah?

All is generally possible, but if you’re expecting to just tweak some firmware and attach something to a port on the back you might be in for a surprise.

Ugly PCB modifications and some additional circuit design are the order of the day.

> you think this would be possible olivier?

Yes.

> i’m correct in assuming that only one menu based parameter would be controllable at a time right?

No. You can modulate whatever you want if you write the code for it! If the synthesis options were tied to the UI that would be a very lame design…

> we could also possibly have an additional trigger/gate in to simulate the encoder press too yeah?

I think if you think of your project as a UI remote-control thing - as in send triggers to move the encoder left/right or click it, you’ll miserably fail. There’s a good chance you’ll be trying to do this by direct hooks on the hardware (with risks of damaging it), and who wants to send triggers to inc/dec parameters and navigate in a UI when you could send a single CV to do the same thing?

It’ll be much better to directly bypass the UI layer and remote-control the synthesis engine.

The way I would do it would be to use the UART port exposed at the back (there’s an RX pin). You could build with an Arduino or somthing a little gizmo with more CV / Gate inputs and send events through a serial link. Then you could modify Braids’ firmware to make use of these signals.

For the Gizmo easiest use a PicAxe, a A/D and some MCP600x Buffers and “Here we go” as Mr. Hall says….

Thanks for such a quick reply guys, I’ll keep you updated!

Olivier, any ideas if and when you are going to release the source code for all thew new modules? :slight_smile:

Before the 20th for sure.

Just BTW, this nifty info graphic recently appeared in a MW forum. Note: I have not checked its accuracy, but on a quick glance it appears to be correct. Definitely useful.

Code uploaded on github. Will write more in the next days.