Braids firmware update (still in beta!)

Original post on muff

Adventurous people who want to try the upgrade can grab the file here .

Changelist

• Fixed a bug that prevented the system settings to be written in memory in some situations.
  • Added a new setting to the RANG menu that locks the output frequency to 440 Hz (useful as a reference for tuning other modules).
  • Altered the phase and amplitude of some waveforms in the WTBL and WMAP modes to make the interpolation/scanning smoother.
  • Added new wavetable mode, WLIN, which allows the wavetable data to be scanned linearly by the TIMBRE control; while COLOR morphs between various interpolation methods and resolutions (between waveforms or within waveform sample data).
  • Added new wavetable mode, WTx4, generating four voices of wavetable synthesis. TIMBRE morphs through a representative selection of the waveforms; while COLOR selects various intervals between the four voices (unison with detuning, octaves, chords…)
  • Added two new synthesis modes, /| x3 and |_| x3, with 3 voices of anti-aliased sawtooth or square waves. TIMBRE and COLOR control the interval/detuning of the second and third voices.
  • Added new synthesis mode, DRUM, which is a variant of BELL generating an additive timpani-like sound. TIMBRE controls its decay, while COLOR the tone brightness.
  • Reworked the FOLD mode to provide more destructive wavefolding on its triangle/sine internal inputs.

How to upgrade? (copy-pasted blurb from the user manual)

Unplug all CV inputs/outputs from the module. Connect the output of your audio interface/sound card to the FM input. Set the FINE knob to 12 o’clock, and the FM attenuverter to 5 o’clock. Power on your modular system with Braids’ encoder pressed. The screen will show _RDY, with a “snake” pattern on the first character.

Make sure that no additional sound (such as email notification sounds, background music etc.) from your computer will be played during the procedure. Make sure that your speakers/monitors are not connected to your audio interface – the noises emitted during the procedure are aggressive and can harm your hearing. On non-studio audio equipment (for example the line output from a Desktop computer), you might have to turn up the volume to the maximum.

When you are all set, play the firmware update file into the module. The display shows the number of data packets received. The firmware contains between 90 and 112 packets, and the unit reboots after the last packet has been received. In case the signal level is too weak, the unit will display SYN. Try adjusting the position of the FM attenuverter, click the encoder and retry from the start of the update file. The unit displaysCRC if a data packet is corrupted. It is suggested in this case to retry the procedure from another computer/audio interface, and to make sure that no piece of equipment (equalizer, FX processor) is inserted in the signal chain.

“They” will burn you on a pile of old Doepfer LowCost Cases and never built Formant PCBs for breaking another Tabu from ModularLand™ - polyphony from one Module. HERETIC!

Will try tomorrow :wink:

I know I shouldn’t but I’ll upgrade first thing tomorrow. can anything go wrong?

@fcd72 I think once you use WTX4 your third favorite module behind Braids 1 & Braids 2 will be Braids 3, just in case it isn’t already :slight_smile:

@rumpelfilter pichenettes will have a better answer but I tried using my phone as sound source just to see what would happen and the worst I got was having to reset and try again with my laptop.

The upgrade is worth every penny :wink:

I think it’ll either not work at all (and leave your module with the old version) or work well.

W O W !

strangely, olivier so far seems to have posted this only at muff’s, and not here. but since it was i who originally introduced the new m.i. modules over there (where i’m called bartleby, after my favorite melville character), i thought i might as well act as a translator again and let you good shruthizens know:

there is now a new release version of the new braids firmware. :slight_smile:

@mic.w that’s the version this thread is already about :slight_smile:

not quite. the thread was originally about the beta. this is now the finished 1.4 version with the following changes to the beta version (quoting from olivier’s muff post linked above):

"Compared to the beta that has been announced here, I have made only two changes:

• The FOLD mode has less aliasing in the high frequency range (the amount of wavefolding is frequency-dependent to prevent the wavefolder from creating frequencies way above Nyquist).
  • In the FBFM mode, the FM index (controlled by TIMBRE) has an extended range (by almost 50%) in the lowest and medium frequencies. It’s really harsh and nasty - and is now my favorite mode.

This way of dynamically expanding the range of a parameter as a function of the main frequency or other parameters - to allow more drastic timbre change when we know we are in a “safe” region with regard to aliasing or stability - is going to be progressively extended to other modes and will be a standard feature in new modules – now that I have a rather systematic way of doing it."

interesting that he says that the newly improved fbfm mode is now his favorite.
so far, my favorite mode has been wtfm. but i haven’t tried the update yet. :slight_smile:

Ohhhh, my mistake. Something new to try :slight_smile:

I am using the beta and am very fond of WTX4 :slight_smile:

wtfm = what the f.ck mode? :wink:

precisely.
but i also love its sound, not only its name. :slight_smile:

Any possibility of more chord options on Braids? I absolutely love WTX4, its addictive

Is there a list of the chords types for the WTX4 mode?

Here is the relevant part of the Braids source code:

```

#define SEMI * 128

const uint16_t chords[17][3] = {
{ 4, 8, 12 }, // Fat
{ 16, 32, 48 }, // Superfat
{ 4, 7 SEMI, 4 + 7 SEMI }, // Fat power
{ 4, 12 SEMI, 4 + 12 SEMI }, // Fat octave
{ 12 SEMI, 24 SEMI, 36 SEMI}, // Octaves
{ 12 SEMI, 7 SEMI, 19 SEMI }, // Power
{ 4 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 12 SEMI }, // Major
{ 4 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 11 SEMI }, // Major7
{ 3 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 10 SEMI }, // Minor7
{ 3 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 12 SEMI }, // Minor
{ 2 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 12 SEMI }, // Sus2
{ 4 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 12 SEMI }, // Sus4
{ 3 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 14 SEMI }, // Minor9
{ 4 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 14 SEMI }, // Major9
{ 3 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 16 SEMI }, // Minor11
{ 4 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 16 SEMI }, // Major11
{ 4 SEMI, 7 SEMI , 16 SEMI }, // Major11
};

```

Great! Thanks for that!
Did anyone successfully add more chord types?

Not yet, but I plan to fiddle with these and try some chord progressions (suggestions welcome), so that a simple ramp voltage will play them in a pleasing order. I’m reading Dmitri Tymoczyko’s book for some clues, but it is a bit deep for a musical ignoramus like me. I don’t think there is any fundamental reason why more than 16 chords could not be supported. Different versions of the WTX4 model could use different chord tables (and/or different wavetable lists), memory permitting.

Cool!
I would love a bigger selection of wavetables!
And the progressions sound good!
I’m sure there is at least one mode we could sacrifice for extra memory?!