Braids "click" when escaping the menu

Is is possible to get rid of the click in audio when escaping the menu? I find it quite annoying for live performances. Thanks

No it is not possible. This is the moment the settings get written to flash, and the processor halts when this happens. Most of the time this takes very little time, but once in a while the end of the flash page is reached and it needs to be re-erased - which takes up to 4ms.

By the way, this explains why the settings are saved when you enter/leave the menu; not every time you scroll to a different model.

I see. I thought it might be the case :confused: Maybe if it could wait for the zero-crossing of the wave before it starts writing to the flash…?

Or allow for the flash storage to be disabled? although obviously this could create lots of “my settings aren’t being stored” questions?

During the processor freeze, the DAC holds the last value it has received. So whether it holds a zero or another value would make no difference. You hear a click because the waveform is temporarily held, not because of a discontinuity. This is a higher-order click, not a zero-order click.

I don’t understand to be honest. When it’d wait for 0 value (or something that is actually zero on the output… 2V on DAC?) and hold that, why would it produce any sound? Thank you for the replies!

Your speaker or headphone voice coil and diaphragm have mass, and since they move. inertia. If you instantaneously cut the signal to the voice coil at 0 volts, it will keep moving in a rapidly decaying oscillation with lots of high frequency energy. You hear that as a click. The same applies to your tympanic membrane, ossicles, and the fluid behind your oval window in your inner ear. Then there’s the hysteresis in the hair cell response, and so on.

> why would it produce any sound?

Because the derivative of the sine function at a zero-crossing point is not zero - so even if you don’t introduce a discontinuity at the zero-th order, you create a discontinuity at the first-order - which means you’ll still hear a click.

Another way to look at it is that you’re multiplying the signal by the complementary of a boxcar function - so you’re convolving its spectrum with a sinc-like thing, which creates high harmonics - and that’s the click you hear. Since the disturbance is a few ms long, the harmonics are obviously in the audible range.

Actually, the better place to do this would be to hold at a point where the derivative is null (such as at the peak or crest of the sine function) - but there’s no guarantee that there’s such a point (for example, there’s no such point on a sawtooth or triangle) - and this wouldn’t solve anything.

I have attached a picture showing what’s currently happening, and what you suggests. I don’t see in which way this would be an improvement.

Even fading out, then fading in would be silly… Because it would take place in a few milliseconds. That would be way too short for you to perceive the sound stopping and restarting - instead this would be as if some short sine-wavey bloop had been mixed with the signal.

I see! Great responses. <3 you Mutable :slight_smile:

@pichenettes – would it make sense to postpone flash writing while input CVs are changing, and only update it when they are steady for certain period of time?

What would this change?