Braids and Yarns questions/suggestions

Hi! New to this forum. Been into modular stuff for a while though. DIY is definitely not my thing but I know there is a lot of that going in here.

First off I’d like to say that I love my new Mutable modules! Yarns has been a blast with Braids going through my Intellijel Atlantis. It’s like a weird Sh-101 with wavetables

I’m having a little trouble with Yarns or the manual perhaps. It explains what things are doing but not really how to turn them on or off. Like the Arp. I have no idea how to turn it on. I feel like it gets going by accident. Also, sometimes after I’ve programmed a pattern and hit play, nothing happens. I don’t know how I do that either. I end up having to reboot the thing. I know I’m just doing something incorrectly but I can’t figure out what it is!
Am I correct in assuming that the only way to delete a sequence is to record a blank one?

A question about Braids. Is the Color knob also an attenuator? I know some builders do that. If not I suppose I can just slap one on the signal before hand.

Suggestion:
Can a function be added to Brains that lets us see what the Color and Timbre knobs are doing. Which chord in the WTx4 model, or tuning in /|/|x3 model?

Can Yarns get a Master MIDI channel that allows to address some functions with CC messages? Can it also act as the master Transpose? Parts can have their individual MIDI channels for playing and programming patterns but channel 16 can be used to transpose all the patterns.

Can I have press Play and have the sequence start on the next bar? I play live using an Octatrack but I we never stop so I’d have to stop the whole set just to program a pattern in then start again. Not really an option so it would be neat to be able to record/erase and start Yarns without having to stop the entire show. Being able to address the parts individually would be even better! Stop one part and create a new pattern, then bring it back in all while another part kept going!

If you can send a sequence on a separate MIDI channel from the Octatrack to the Yarns module, it may be easier to not use the built-in Yarns sequencer. You can do this with the PA (RT) and CH (ANNEL) variables as covered in the Layout and MIDI options in the manual.
As I don’t own an Octatrack, correct me if I am wrong.

> I have no idea how to turn it on.

The AR (arpeggiator range) setting enables the arpeggiator when it is set on a non-zero value, and disables it when it is set to 0.

> Am I correct in assuming that the only way to delete a sequence is to record a blank one?

Yes.

> A question about Braids. Is the Color knob also an attenuator?

No. It works as an offset on whatever is sent on the COLOR CV input.

> Can a function be added to Brains that lets us see what the Color and Timbre knobs are doing. Which chord in the WTx4 model, or tuning in /|/|x3 model?

Not sure how this would fit on the 4 character display…

> Can Yarns get a Master MIDI channel that allows to address some functions with CC messages?

Not yet! I plan to add this in a new firmware revision.

> Can it also act as the master Transpose? Parts can have their individual MIDI channels for playing and programming patterns but channel 16 can be used to transpose all the patterns.

> Can I have press Play and have the sequence start on the next bar?

No. A MIDIpal with its “sync latch” app would do that. In terms of features, I feel that I’ve pushed Yarns very far (too far?) considered its limited UI.

>No. A MIDIpal with its “sync latch” app would do that. In terms of features, I feel that I’ve pushed Yarns very far (too far?) considered its limited UI.

Just a tiny bit :wink:

Is there anything detailing the different Arp Patterns? Are they programmable?

Does Yarns respond to a sustain pedal?

Could MIDI FX be implemented in Yarns? Forced scale or MIDI delay with forced scale. That could be fun when mixed with the arp.

Sustain pedal is supported.

The arpeggiator patterns are here

Programmable arpeggiator, forced scale, MIDI delay would all be possible technically, but are not implemented to keep the UI usable.

Awesome! Thanks!

The Coarse and Fine tune knobs on Braids have notches in the. Is there a certain pitch the module should be at when set to that? Just wondering.

Also, the second Pitch CV channel on my Yarns is suddenly way off. Was fine last night but is about a semitone off per octave tonight. If I tune to C3, the next C up plays a B and the next after that plays a Bb. It was fine. Dunno what I could have done!

> Also, the second Pitch CV channel on my Yarns is suddenly way off

When connected to which module?

When connected to Braids or Make Noise STO. Could be that I messed something up but I’ve not played around with the sub menus at all so I don’t know what I could have done. All I really do with it is step sequences.

Transposition setting? Scales menu? Messing with Yarns’ calibration menu?

I’ve not really dug into that side of yarns at all. Is any of that something that I could have done on accident? Would it effect just the one channel? I’m in 2M mode.

In 2M mode, transposition and scale settings are per-part, so it’s very plausible that you might have messed with a channel and left the other untouched.

OK, I’ll start there. I don’t have internet at the studio (on purpose) so it’s hard to trouble shoot while I’m there and am I right in that there is not a PDF version of the manual?

Thanks for your help

Printfriendly is your friend

Oh cool Thanks for that.

I went to my studio space and looked at transposition and scale menus. everything looks to be the same on both Parts. I’m at a loss. Especially since it was fine one day and then not working when I can back the next. Might install the update and see if that does anything.

Which module is on channel 1 and which module on channel 2?

Channel 1 is Atlantis. Channel 2 is Braids.

Isn’t it simply because the Coarse frequency knob of one of these modules has moved?