Board layout is hard

This week I’ve been laying out and routing the dual SVF board. The circuit is not fully tested, but I thought that it might be worth checking first that the whole circuit can actually be crammed on a Shruth1-filter board (since it’s more complex than the previous boards).

It fits, but I could not get a routing that looked elegant.

Here’s my first try, smart but uneven structure, a lot of messy diagonal routes.

Here’s my second try, tidier, more consistent, but still many crossings and no clean separation between audio, CV, power and digital lines.

Great! With that amount of Chips i already wonder how you fit everything in that tight space. Although its a nice design goal having a clean sepearation of the different lines i dont think its possible in that formfactor and only 2 layers… Maybe you could do a silkscreening on the backside indicating the signal flow?

But who am i judging about a board layout…

Not the coolest idea but wasn’t there a recent discussion about a power supply only board? That could free up some room. But that would be three layers that would not fit in the plexi case. Just a thought. Meh.

> Maybe you could do a silkscreening on the backside indicating the signal flow?

From the backside, this board will look like swiss cheese, so it’s not like you can draw everything you want on it…

> but wasn’t there a recent discussion about a power supply only board?

The goal was to make a board with the strict minimum to allow a digital board to run (supply and maybe an output amp - which is already pretty much what the playground board is). It would make little sense to have a 3 boards sandwich given that the power supply takes only 1/8th of the board surface.

>many crossings and no clean separation between audio, CV, power and digital lines.

is this a design no no in that the different lines may pick up noise from each other? or is it just a designer perfecting the circuit thang?

@ootini yes, there can be noise problems or signals bleeding into each others.

The most dangerous lines are the PWM outputs, having those +5V square waves running everywhere doesn’t smell good (which is why my first intuition on the first board was to process them as soon as possible).

@pichenettes
>It would make little sense to have a 3 boards sandwich given that the power supply takes only 1/8th of the board surface.<
So why not a stripboard with power supply on it to be mounted vertically on one side between the two boards with components pointing outside… it would require only a larger case, but would free spase on analog board. (hope I made myself clear!)

> So why not a stripboard with power supply on it to be mounted vertically on one side between the two boards with components pointing outside… it would require only a larger case, but would free spase on analog board. (hope I made myself clear!)

I don’t really want to tell people “Here’s a new filter board for your Shruthi. Except you’ll have to build a power supply on stripboard and it won’t fit in the case”.