Blinds Channel polarity and gain

Hello fellow MI Blinds owners,

I’m studying the uses of my new Blinds and as I know modules are made to interact I try to find the uses of a module as a start as well.

I have some trouble to understand what exactly the use is for the massive gain the first knobs on the left produce if summed.
As I hook the Blinds onto a Mordax Data to see what the CV
is doing it goes from -10 ~ +10 V which is a massive range for
CV and most of my other modules work within -5 ~ +5 V depending on the settings of the knobs. Sometimes -2.5 ~ + 2.5 V is even better.

So what’s the use of this massive range of CV? or is it used for audio?
I study the manual and it gives a formula how it adds up if nothing patched.

Can someone please explain to me how would this be useful in what kind of patch? I can’t find anything that I can use this way. I have a Batumi, Stages, Quadrax, Øchd, PNW, and a O_C to throw a massive amount of CV at it so maybe it’s time to experiment a little bit more.
Where can I find a good place to learn my Blinds inside out?
It can do so much it will take some time :rofl:

A gain of +/- 2 is not that massive – just remember to not turn the knob to the max!

Some VCAs or LPGs need a CV of 8V or 10V to fully open; so there is a use case for amplifying a 0 to 5V unipolar LFO or logic signal to these levels.

And as you correctly understood, if you’re using the modules to mix several audio sources, the extra gain could be helpful (for example, physical modelling modules like Rings or Elements can produce signals that won’t sound as loud as a solid 10Vpp sine wave coming from an analog oscillator).

1 Like

If you are anything like me your love for Blinds will grow over time. One of the things I love with modular are those “what if” moments and Blinds seems to be a module that helps make ‘what if’ ideas happen.

For example, yesterday I was contemplating how to change pitch on a droning oscillator in an interesting way? Normally, applying pitch change to a droning oscillator is a very abrupt change. What I ended up with was big knob to the max (ie: offset fully opening vca) and an adsr plugged into the small knob with a slight negative or ‘ducking’ effect. So, when the note changes the volume sounds as if it is taking breath. It is a lovely effect and it took me two years of owning blinds to think of it.

If you own a module with a half or full wave rectifier (eg: MI Kinks) you can send the rectified signal (kick drum etc) through a slew like Maths or the orange channel of MI Stages to duck other drums or synth lines etc. Same as patch above. Works even better if you have a module with a threshold gate (comparator) eg: MI Ears. Search youtube for mylarmelodies how to patch modular compressor.

Another way I use the big knobs offset a lot is to turn a unipolar signal into a bipolar signal. eg looping envelopes from Maths or Stages etc go up and down from 0-8 volts. If you create a negative offset you can make that -4 to +4, -5 to +3, -1 to + 3, or whatever suits best. Similarly you could shift the range of your bipolar batumi and other modulation sources.

Another way is to mix cv you are going to use to modulate other signals with. Blinds allows two cv sources to subtly mix together which can create an evolving vibe rather than a having very abrupt changes.

Recently I having been experimenting with MI Stages in Harmonic oscillator mode. You can get some great Ring Modulation tones when you set the big knob to zero and the little knob to maximum. A cool trick I found was to send a sine wave into the big knobs input and percussion (bass drum, snare, etc) into the little knobs input.

2 Likes

All this reminds me of an extra use case for the large range of the OFFSET knob (-10 to 10 instead of -5 to 5): inverting, but keeping unipolar, an ADSR envelope with a range of 0 to 8V or 0 to 10V.

1 Like

Thanks for your time to explain. I’m still somewhat a beginner as I filled 4x 84 HP
(2 cases) and spend a year and a half just buy / sell what I liked or didn’t.
Now that I have everything I could wish for I take my time studying my modules one by one. I really enjoy the Blinds already and will try to find as much uses for it as possible.
Sometimes reading about patches gives inspiration to think about what it can do.
I have the great book of patch ideas from Muff Wiggler forum as well and this gave some real great insights in patching.

Hi BennieBlind,

I think it is great to feel like a ‘beginner’. There are so many ways to patch up a modular synth that by the time you try all the patch techniques you can think of you get back to the start again and then you have a new perspective on patching up an old technique!

One method I use to create a composition is to just start with a patch technique and see how far I can take it. I find this useful because it gives me something to focus on rather than getting bogged down with the amount of choices or falling back into regular tried and tested patch signals.

As with any module there is a limit to what Blinds can do, but like most Mutable module that limited list is quite large. From my experience these are the things worth exploring with Blinds:

• Linear VCA for Audio. Audio big knob at 0 (=/- offset to create rising drone or ducking) and unipolar cv for raining volume (you can also use bipolar cv but the negative will be flipped and therefore treated as positive, so no long silences.)
  • Ring Modulator (with or without carrier offset). Same as above but audio in big and small knob.
  • Linear VCA for CV (with or without offset). Brings modulation in and out , ie: modulating modulation. This works best if small knob uses unipolar cv.
  • CV mixing. Put two different cv sources in and wiggle knobs until the modulation sounds good.
  • Offset cv. As outlined in last post.
    *Offset only. Don’t plug anything into the inputs and use the output to create a voltage offset to manually or statically control something else. Often handy if a module has a bad user interface and is hard to wiggle it’s knobs.

There are probably other things I can’t think of. All in all it is a module that I use to bring other modules to life. Enjoy.

2 Likes