Big problem with my MIDIpal (joke o/c)

i’m totally upset! there’s no f&%king way i can put the midipal in its damned enclosure!
must have been cut by some german fluxjunkie i guess !?
now i’ve spent my last bux on that DIY project instead of medication (as Jean Putz said no ataractics in the world could calm you down better than a decent hobby)
it can’t be my fault, must be a design issue, as i have successfully assembled several diy projects, like e.g. a hooter and a pair of earbuds.
can i have my money back?

Haha

Huh huh

hehe thanks for thinking i could not put the midi sockets on the wrong side.
but i certainly could, it almost happened.

works fine though
i’ve just tried the monitor, will test it with real equipment later tonight.
the only issue so far is that the LCD gets dark for a sec sometimes when i touch the trimmer, seems like i’ll need to redo some of the solder joints.
also one thing to mention: the screws for the back side that came with the kit were at least 5mm to long for the supplied hex standoffs. apparently they have very short threading in there. but not a problem, i got plenty sizes of M3.
yay! smd soldering worked once again!

while flashing the chip there was one weird message at the end, during the eeprom. it seems to have stopped then but it seems to work. for completeness here’s the error message avrdude gave me (WINxp, avrdude command line, usbtiny):

C:\\>avrdude -V -p m328p -C c:\\programme\\winavr-20100110\\bin\\avrdude.conf -c usbt
iny -P usb -e -u -U flash:w:midipal_0.1.hex:i -U flash:w:midipal_muboot.hex:i -U
eeprom:w:midipal_eeprom_golden.hex:i -U lock:w:0x2f:m

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: erasing chip
avrdude: reading input file "midipal_0.1.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (29616 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 79.35s

avrdude: 29616 bytes of flash written
avrdude: reading input file "midipal_muboot.hex"
avrdude: writing flash (32614 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 65.22s

avrdude: 32614 bytes of flash written
avrdude: reading input file "midipal_eeprom_golden.hex"
avrdude: writing eeprom (1024 bytes):

Writing | | 0% 0.00s
avrdude: error: usbtiny_send: usb_control_msg: sending control message failed, w
in error: Der E/A-Vorgang wurde wegen eines Threadendes oder einer Anwendungsanf
orderung abgebrochen.
(expected 128, got -116)
Writing | ################################################## | 100% 5.61s

avrdude: 1024 bytes of eeprom written
avrdude: reading input file "0x2f"
avrdude: writing lock (1 bytes):

Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.01s

avrdude: 1 bytes of lock written

avrdude done. Thank you.

Aww, life’s lottery was a little extra good to that guy :slight_smile: Ask if it can spare any extra chromosomes, I have this SH-101 MIDI interface that’s just a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

i’d never have expected to have jean pütz quoted at me at this place - or anywhere else, for that matter. :slight_smile:

yeah we know rosch, yours are always longer :wink:

The longer Screws go thru the Bottom Panel + 1 Nut + Board so theres 6,5mm left - should work well?

Do ya like the Batterie Holder?

yes it’s a nice idea to have it fixed like that (in theory, because i’m not planning to use batteries, so i didn’t solder the wires)
regarding the nuts, i actually thought it fit quite nicely the way it is. the dents are flush with the surface.
just now, as i’ve installed the rubber feet it’s not standing on all four of them, shakes a bit. i’ll have to open it anyway to improve a few joints, i’ll try it with nuts then, or at least some washers.
worked really well last night, in fact i was expecting problems with the smd chip. always glad when i haven’t killed these guys.

yo rosch,

my personal all time top1 for undestroyable chips is the PicAxe 20M2 - i had it with reversed Power for about 10 Minutes yesterday evening while wondering why it didnt download my superduber “Hello World!” app till it started to smell like electronics smell when the plastic body melts down the legs… resoldered the battery clip and everything went fine…

haha
i wondered yesterday why i wasn’t able to flash the midipal, till i figured that i had the ISP connector on the header the wrong way for a couple of times… worked in the end
btw what chip should i try to flash for you? maybe i have one here