Berhinger to Make Analogue Polysynths With Custom ICs

According to this Amazona interview translated via Google.

That sounds great. They mention studying several old ICs and even the JP-8 among other things. I will be the first to say that Roland oscillators with an SSM style filter is a very pleasant and unique combination. Just in case any one from Berhinger is reading. After all, they have been reading polls as to what analogue synth users want.

I may not have posted this if it wasn’t for the mention of new ICs. As Berhinger is a company that I don’t see going bankrupt anytime soon, it would be absolutely fantastic for them to get into the synthesizer IC market like CEM and SSM in the 80’s. This could be a boon for DIY if they would sell their chips to keep production up and costs down.

So what do you think about Berhinger making analogue synths?

Maybe it’s time to remind that Behringer already manufactures the ICs used in many modern analogue synths, modules, BBD delays…

It will be a lot of fun reading the comments from the Behringer haters when this thing is out. :slight_smile:

Hmmmm, analog polysynths…

Funny to read all the comments from people that don’t know where the hot end of a soldering iron is, let alone have just a yota of knowledge of analog circuitry.
All of them happily rambling about the advantages of a CS-80 (never touched or seen in real life) against a Jupiter-8 (never seen in real life or touched) and giving Behringer Tips on increasing product quality or wondering if the Big B would be able to order more chips than any other Manufacturer.
Another proof that here in germany competence is vastly overrated and can be substituted by just being resolute. Guess thats deeply engraved by this austrian guy in our morphogenetic field back in the 30ies.

Hey Frank, what did you expect ? We are a country of pub experts and masters of the shitstorm. Replacing competence by attitude is a common issue here…It does not matter if the topic was politics, football or analogue circuitry ! :wink:

It’s not just in Germany, this is a problem for all of us to deal with.

@nightworxx
AMAZONA.de is the head central of this, thats why i gave up even on reading there….

Yeah, it’s the Heise forum for music freaks…

“Heise”…… wait there rings a bell on other things i gave up long before.

exactly

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2014/11/22/behringer-synth-a-reality-uli-says-so/

The main problem here will be the release date. Behringer is famous for having items deliverable almost one year after the release date. This was the issue with the X32, the ADA8200 and is right at the moment with the X32 controller. So have a guess, when Uli says there will be a prototype somewhen next year, what this may really mean. I think this will be at least 3 years from now.

How is that a problem?

Its a problem for nightworxx GAS :wink:

Hihihi. :slight_smile:

This was a problem, when my ADA8000 went to his ancestors and the 8200 was not available. And is a problem as my Logic Control is starting to get wonky and the X32 controller would be a decent replacement.
And btw: I do not have GAS, never ever !

I know that Cool Audio is a subsidiary of Berhinger, but they weren’t mentioned in the interview. I would think they would sell any new ICs via Cool Audio, but you can never be too certain.

I have had to repair quite a few synths, and I can be left high and dry with a dead vintage IC that I can not find. Anyone making clones would be just awesome. Save me the time and frustration of making a discrete clone on veroboard.

If they are really serious about the poly synth market, they had better use digital modulation sources. The heat generated by analogue modulation sources is just enough to really mess with the VCOs if they aren’t at least 6CM away from the VCO IC. The most stable 100% analogue synth I have has about a tenth of the components of a DSM-1 board with the same surface area. It is pretty crazy all of the thermodynamics that have to be considered. Not to mention the VCO is positioned relatively close to the power supply’s voltage regulator as an extra heat source to keep the tuning constant. This could not be done on a poly synth because of the temperature gradient across an array of VCO chips. The full warm up time for it is less than 5 minutes. In most cases, it will be stable when turned on. Pretty crazy fast compared to the discrete Moog Slim Phatty warm up time.

I already know the two ICs I would choose to be in an analogue poly synth just because they tend to live a long time and they also are very stable as far as temperature is concerned. Of course these weren’t used in either a Jupiter 8 or a CS80, haha.

I don’t really get why people love analog VCOs. For filters, I can clearly hear the difference in the sound. And it seems logical that there must be a difference between a real filter with all of its imperfections in the various components and the digital emulation that (usually) covers only a small part of those.
But for oscillators? A basic triangle is so easy to reproduce digitally with enough resolution that you barely would be able to tell the difference. Same for square/pulse. Even the analog sine-aproximations (triangle fed into waveshaper) are easy to reproduce in great detail with a simple math formula. So where is the analog superpower that makes people want them when they could have a perfectly stable digital oscillator?
Maybe its the fact that these things have to be tuned and need to warm up. Maybe people just don’t want perfect oscillators. They probably like that they have to respect the imperfections of their instrument.

Pichenettes described the advantages of analogue a while ago-no need for band-limiting on waveforms, full audio range fm, and likewise for PWM. Of course something like the Mungo State Zero which operates in MHz ranges will get very close to this…