Behringozon

I hope it won’t kill the smaller brands for production etc;
I also hope that the mentality won’t change to be a business war.
Buy at small companies guys !

Am I the only one getting bored by the 234763th iteration of an old concept? Regardless if the iteration is from BigBusyB, Roland, Moog itselft, DSI… its always nearly the same thing. And as @pichenettes (i always get that damn Accent in Èmilie wrong :wink: ) said, they all will sound the same. Seen from this perspective the MicroFreak is astonishing refreshing new. But its probably just me getting old and grumpy. Ill now go fiddle a bit with my Pulse. Sounds like all these clones, just that i already have it :rofl:

The killer features of the CEM3340 VCO chips are the linear FM and the hard and really nice soft sync features (plus decent V/oct tracking). Various eurorack clones of the Digisound-80 VCO module from 1980 (which itself is as just an implementation straight from the usage notes for the CEM chip) expose those features, but the other clones don’t. I’d love to see a modern take on the analogue complex oscillator FM thing, using CEM clone chips, with built in VCAs and envelopes etc for the modulation, under microprocessor control, which didn’t cost the thick part of a thousand dollars/euros.

@jlmitch5 Yes, that was exactly my thought as well. For someone like Behringer, the interesting concepts and unique modules don’t make sense to clone because they don’t sell at the scale requried to produce so cheaply. The only thing they will be able to produce en masse is basic synth building blocks and utility modules like mults, attenuverters, VCAs, mixers, etc.

And frankly, I don’t see much of a problem for most eurorack brands, because the focus has always been on unique designs and niche applications and that is something where a big player simply won’t be able to really compete, not only from a mass manufacture standpoint but also because innovation almost always comes from small, enthusiastic and passionate companies.

Yes, MI will probably be selling less Shades and Links if something similar is available cheaper, but I doubt this will be seriously threatening the business. In fact, I think I remember Émilie writing that she’ll focus on niche things more in the future (and that was quite some time ago)
Just like @jlmitch5, I suspect even the reverse could be true: If the “basic” modules were available cheaply from a large company, that would probably draw more people into the eurorack world. And once they’re in, they’ll start to crave for the expensive modules that are unique and weird and rare. Let’s face it: For many of the users it is an expensive hobby (at least partially) and people are willing to pay a lot for an exotic device because that is what you’re after when you do the whole eurorack thing.

I may be too optimistic and ultimately … what do I know … I just remember when Roland entered eurorack and everybody was hyped about what huge transformation this would bring to the market …

So it’s a grave, not an acute accent, right? But are such accents optional on leading caps, or was that just a typesetting convenience from the old days, or have caps alway been accented?

(@fcd72 derailing field in action…)

I think the potentially interesting thing about the Behringer Crave is how hackable it is — both the analogue signal path and the microprocessor. At $199, it is highly warranty-voidable. And potentially simple enough to reverse engineer, not to clone it (why would you bother?) but to repurpose it. Remember that cheap Behringer MIDI controller thing (a BCR2000?) that had alt firmware written for it to turn it into a step sequencer? Anyway, looking forward to some tear down videos on the Crave (and the Microfreak).

Wondering. If it’s digital envelope and lfo (so controlled by micro controller), shouldn’t all destinations (pitch, volume, filter cutoff, envelope and lfo) be midi controllable?

Controllable yes, but not independently. I suspect the LFO and ENV signals are fed to a DAC to become analog voltages and the attenuation for the different destinations is done entirely analog. You could alter the LFO shape or replace it with something else but you can’t send independent voltages to the filter and pitch

I thought Behringozon was a demon, like Choronzon…

I really like the form factor of this synth – like a tidier version of the 0-Coast – and it’s a shame the actual content seems to be plain white toast with no butter.

I feel sad for the 3340 in this synth because it doesn’t even get to use anything like its full potential… just saw and pulse, because that’s what’s available on a Mother-32. :unamused:

I’d really like to see more creative synths in this size and near this price (maybe not quite so low?). A filter that can get really aggressive, or maybe a switched-capacitor filter. Some interesting waveshaping, maybe analog VOSIM? Not totally new ideas either, but they haven’t been done to death. Sort of how the Volca Modular feels fresh and new despite being an iteration of classic Buchla design.

(I wonder whether we’re going to be tired of Buchla clones a couple of decades from now. To me that synth architecture is a hundred times more interesting than a one- or even three-VCO subtractive with a ladder filter, but maybe the shine will wear off eventually…)

Im with you, in this price range, people will be much more willing to try out more exotic concepts.
It wouldnt even have to be the craziest if the crazy.
For example a small subtractive monosynth with a complex oscillator front end would already be something fresh and inviting.

My personal dream mid range synth is a MI-designed 4 voice poly that is basically elements, a distortion, 4 envelopes and 4 lfos with patch storage.

Behringer’s whole concept seems to be to reproduce other companies products - which they know have a market - at high volume for a lower cost since they don’t need to spend as much effort on R&D and are vertically integrated as a manufacturer. I highly doubt they would put the effort into producing anything innovative or original.

Korg announces an Odyssey remake? Behringer announces one less than a year later (never mind that 4 years after Behringer’s announcement it still hasn’t been released)

Roland releases boutique versions of SH-101, VP-330, TR-909, TR-808. Behringer announces remakes of the same.

Moog remakes Model D. Behringer announces remake of the same.

Moog releases Mother 32. Behringer announces Neutron with similar desktop / eurorack concept, the ‘Crave’ synth that has the same patch points.

Among other examples…

I’ve not tried one but I’d be willing to bet it’s done exactly the same way as the M32! - Great bit of kit but the sequencer with all it’s button combos and limited visual feedback is a bit frustrating to use.

Definitely all that cheap plastic potty stuff gonna sound more or less similar… i would buy an sh-101 clone despite the ugly red color just for usb-midi-cv hub and the sequencer, if the sound is good that’s even better… won’t go further than that