Behringozon

Now that the whole Arturia thing is sorted out, let me say that I’d rather get one of these, than anything Behringer is currently flooding the market with.
Am I the only one to see a rather Amazon-like behaviour in this? The whole flooding the market with cheap gear to throw the competition out of the market? This is worrying me a little bit.

Its a bit sad really.
However, i think they will never take over in any meaningful way, the music industry isnt based as much on sales and lowballing as eg the tv market.
I mean people buying moog, eurorack, dsi when they probably could do most of the stuff with some decent vsts and a midi controller is indicative that a lot of the purchase decisions are based on interface, build quality, Novelty and probably obscurity.
I also doubt their eurorack series will sell a ton. Who cares about roland modular system clones nowadays?

I don’t think it will have a big impact, to be honest. The gear isn’t that cheap it you look into what you’re getting; most of it are either straight clones of old gear, and even the original stuff comes without any patch storage, MIDI CC parameter control, or any of the other modern niceties you’d expect from modern gear.

That is absolutely true. Because, they, they do have to save somewhere if they sell something for 150€. At this price they’ll still sell well and it might set a trend with other manufactuers going a similar route, just to stay competitive?
Just speculating of course. There’s still a good chance that Behringer will just screw things up anyway. Though people seem to like their Model D clone, it’s #1 in Thomann’s sales rank for the category (synths I guess) and #27 overall, and it’s got all 5 stars in user reviews.

They are reaping the benefits of all these easy to use VCO/VCF neo-CEM chips. Not a lot of R&D required, the problem is that these are all going to sound the same!

Don’t think so. Because they lack digital control, these synths really are pretty boring. For example, Korg’s new mini-modular Volca is much more interesting in that regard because you can automate and step-lock parameters using the sequencer.

Of course you get CV control over a lot of stuff in these Behringer synths, but using that in an interesting way requires a lot of additional gear.

EDIT: My point is, except for maybe Arturia (Brutes) and Moog (Mother), no other major synth manufacturer is or has recently been active in the analogue-synth-with-no-patch-memory-and-controls-directly-wired-into-the-signal-path market. Why would the want or need to enter this market now?

Well the Volca Modular is more interesting in any other way as well! :slight_smile:

Yeah that’s a good point. I didn’t think about that, mostly because that’s not something I am much interested in, but I can totally see how that is something most people want.

and yes…

that is also very true!

Yeah, this is literally just the Coolaudio V3340D with the ladder filter from their Model D and a single envelope and single LFO. No sub-osc. No noise source. Very basic step sequencer with gate and pitch only; no accents, no glide.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a cool looking little box, but it’s also as minimal a monosynth voice as you can get.

It’s something a lot of people think they want when they see it, and it’s something a lof of people will buy just because it’s dirt cheap.

But it’s not going to be as fun or as useful as something slightly more expensive.

For example, I’m convinced that most people would be better of getting a Roland SE-02 instead of a Behringer Model D if they want something Moogy, and that most people would get more use out of a Pioneer AS-1 instead of Behringer’s upcoming Pro-1 clone if they want that Dave Smith sound…

They really had me laughing in the official demo (top video in the Synthtopia post) where they guy introduces a revolutionary new feature included in the sequencer: transposing the sequence with a keyboard!

Also, at $199 it’s not that cheap considering you can get a Monologue for 299 which is a hell of a lot more fun and value per /€/£/¥.

actually, according to the video below (02:30), accent, glide time, gate length, and ratcheting can be set per step. that’s not bad at all for a built-in sequencer.

[edit:] also, i like that it has actual midi jacks, no adapter stuff…

if it had a roland or sem rather than a moog filter, i think i’d get one.

oh btw regarding the thread title:

i first read “beringozän” - which would be german for the age of the behringocene - which we might just be entering right now. :slight_smile:

I really like it! Maybe the best they did so far. Seems and sounds like a new classic.

Beringozoa, a small single cellular organism known for copying other microorganisms synths, amongst its commonest victims:
The moogrophage
Acidobacter Rolandensis
Sequentiella circuitans

I stand corrected. What does accent do and how is its level set?

I think it looks nice, but I’m not really hearing anything new or overly exciting. To me, it sure sounds “classic”, but not really “new”. :slight_smile:

to come back to the original question:

i wasn’t worried about things like the model d, or the neutron, or the rd-808/909 (in fact i’m looking forward to the latter).

what i do find a bit disturbing about the latest crave model though is that it seems to be more or less a clone of the moog mother 32, which would make it their first clone of a competitor’s current model which is still in production. if they continue that path, that could indeed become a problem.

[edit:] well not a clone technically - different osc etc - but a very, very similar feature set.

[moar edit:] but then again, it’s not a terribly original feature set to begin with (as others have pointed out).

Putting the ethics of copying to the side to just focus on this point, the very cheap semi modulars (and soon to be modules) that they have been working on could have the potential of bringing more people into starting a system, which could potentially mean a bigger demand for other modules–especially sense they seem to be adhering to the euro format and 1 v/oct the compatibility. I think these types of things will hurt sales of the more basic subtractive-synth-building-block designs and other semi-modular designs that focus on providing a good value-to-utility as their “selling point”.

A lot of y’all have been into this for much longer than I have (~3 years), but just based on friends and reading online, it does seem like interest in synths (and especially modular stuff) has become a lot more prevalent than they were when I started (or I could just be deeper in an echo chamber).