Behringer is pissing me off, but

It feels a bit like cheating that they put the channels 9-16 in/out on a lightpipe… That is sort of like saying “Hey look, we have an infinite in/out audio interface, you just have to add ADAT boxes”.

Also, what does the MIDAS magic do?(Apart from bringing down your empire)

Speaking of ADAT boxes, this one is really cool: Q_ADAT

Cheap and cheerful!

Having an additional number of channels on ADAT is something that a lot of brands do.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_articles/apr96/behringermx2642.html

I REALLY like the X32 Rack: At $1,500 it’s an incredible value and you have all the power of a studio or live digital console that fits right in your rack.

I can’t justify owning one right now, but the X32s are (by all accounts) fantastic products and they’re probably even better than all the praise suggests because of how unpopular it is to like Behringer =)

But you still can’t be sure what’s “good behringer” and what’s “bad behringer”.

I think they’re really talking the criticisms to heart and are devoted to providing flagship products that keep the company’s good name intact while still providing cheap stuff that will break on you- it’s a fairly good business strategy.

What i do have : Behringer Ultrapatch, Behringer ADA8200 (for testing), Behringer BCF2000 - they work as designed, sturdy and reliable
What i do have (not from Behringer): Laney VR100H guitar amp, Mackie 1402 (15 year old!), Marshall Box - i would never be so optimistic to buy Behringer stuff in these areas…

BTW the X32 is a montrous bang for the buck…and yes, of course you need ADAT extenders, as you need them for a Soundcraft, Yamaha, TASCAM, Midas, putinwhatevermixerbrandyoulike. Hey, its a digital mixer !

DCX2496 is a triumph. That is all

I am impressed by my Behringer FCA1616 audio/MIDI interface, except for this issue (but it’s fine when sampling at 96kHZ), given how little I paid for it - and it has an ADAT interface so I can extend it with an ADA8000 (available very cheaply second-hand), or use with an Expert Sleepers ES-3 CV interface for a future Eurorack modular (avec Braids etc). But it is my first audio interface, thus I may be easily impressed. But it seems reasonably well built for the money, not cheap and nasty like my son’s Behringer DJ mixer, which really is just a toy.

conclusion: some stuff from behringer sucks, some doesn’t…

same thing with products from all other companies :slight_smile:

Exactly…

yep

Behringer were known to borrow a few ideas from Mackie though.

Since @fcd72 is the second smartest person I know (Olivier is the smartest, but Frank is tied with Andre for second smartest), and he suggested I look at the X32, I did just that. There are all sorts of advantages for me to use a combination of the rack and the S16 patchbay, but there is one kinda large downside. There does not seem to be any unbalanced 1/4" channel inputs. I don’t really want to buy 32 DIs so that could be a deal breaker. Too bad 'cause it looks like it would work fine.

Can’t you just plug a unbalanced jack into a balanced input to turn it into a unbalanced input?
I have always understood balanced to be an option, not a necessity.

I’ve been doing some research and haven’t found a straight answer yet. Even the Behringer reps on the forums are inconsistent. I suppose you could but there are still potential issues. I would still need 32 adapters since they used XLR connectors instead of a combo (Neutrik Combo perhaps) and there are differences in level and impedance to worry about. There is also the “accidental phantom power” issue and ground lift (although I’m not entirely sure that last one is an issue).

All modern mixers have balanced inputs and it’s fine to plug unbalanced signals there if you tolerate the 6dB loss (balanced inputs subtract the positive and negative versions of the signal to recover something with twice the original level and the noise taken out; if you plug something unbalanced one of the two signals will be 0 and you’ll still get the right result modulo some noise and a 0.5 gain).

You’re right about the phantom power issue ; and about the need for adapters on the X32.

You can, the only downside is a loss of 6db, which is absolutely no issue in the digital domain. Or use fake balancing with bridging one channel to ground - google for bridged XLR/TRS…

Crap! I think the DSP on my 3 month old Behringer FCA1616 audio interface is failing… and probably 2 months to get a new one under warranty. Knew it was too good to be true.

V-Verb pro 2496 is an excellent reverb. There’s a big thread in Gearslutz about it and commentary has been more than positive. Imagine that, Gearslutz, positive, about a Behringer reverb. It’s that good!

its ridiculous to claim that Behringer hides that their products are made in China. they write prominently and proudly on their webpage (and i think in their brochures) about their “music group city” factory in Guandong. anyway, for an amateur - like me - for whom it is more important to have a feature at all, rather than the best available implementation of a feature, their products deliver most features/euro by far.