Before I start my Shruthi, best temperature for soldering iron?

Hi all,

Just thought I’d post pre starting my kit. I have a variable temperature soldering iron which goes from 150 degrees Celsius to 450 degrees Celsius. What should it be set to in order to insure I don’t overheat any of the parts?

Thanks!

And sorry for the ‘soldering’ typo…

you can edit the title from the first post.
some have the theory that lower temperature gives less overheating, but in fact with a higher temperature it heats up quicker so the time the vintage chip is exposed to heat is shorter, more locally (in the pin where it should be).
i always solder at max which is 400°C nominally and 411 then on the display. 300° or less is for whimps :wink:

I am a whimp! :) Did it with 300 degrees celsius (analog soldering station) and it worked well. Quicker heating would have been to fast for me. ;)

Do you plan to use lead-free or leaded solder?

I was wondering the same thing month ago, now I use about 340 degrees, works well for me. But you must find out what works for you.

Rosch isnt quite right, its not so much about temperature its about power.
You will have to have a certain amount of energy Q (s) to solder a proper joint.

You can either have a sufficient Q by using a high temperature (roschs approach) that drops while soldering because the iron has not enough power to stay at that temperature or by having a lower temperature and a high power Soldering Iron, best one a fast digital regulated (mine has 80w peak).
With the later approach you will never overheat the PCB, with the Initial High temperature approach you may overheat the PCB if you Iron is to powerful (or heavy) and with a underpowered iron you will destroy everything because you need ages to heat up to a proper soldering temperature thus burnig the PCB.

So i recommend 300°C and Sn60PB40 Solder with integrated Flux 1,0mm

It’s psychologic trick. If the soldering iron heats more slowly, you have more time to think what are you doing. Having said that, I will probably have to use about 100 degrees since I screwed up my last shruthi :smiley:

btw, speaking of soldering irons… i ordered an Ersa Analog 60 at a local shop (support your local freaks even if it costs 30€ more!)
Has anybody tried that one?

As long as it comes to soldering i am an all digital guy :wink:

For lead free I wouldn’t recommend going below 350 degrees to ensure proper solder joints.

I’m using a 100W soldering iron from my local car accessories merchant, set to 315°C (digitally). Leaded solder.

With leaded solder I used 320 C on my old analog iron, 300C on the new digital one. Effect is just about the same so I can only echo fcd72’s explanation.

Look at spec sheet for the solder you are using, they always recommend what tip temperature you should use and there is a big difference between the temperatures needed for leaded and non-leaded solder

As a rule of thumb, this is a tad too hot.

303C, leaded solder, extractor. No?

To cut a long story short: not to hot and not to cool

I use a number 9 bit which is the hottest type available for my iron.

@ByteFrenzy
didn’t that make a guest appearance in Star Wars back in '77?