Beads' trigger output feature

Hey everyone,

Just started wiggling Beads today, it’s a fantastic module, great work Émilie! For the first hour or so everything was working as normal, and then whenever I pressed the Seed button it crackled every now and then but would go away when I changed density or turned other knobs (seemed pretty random), at this point I was only using stereo inputs and no external CV. The crackling got worse and worse, whether it was patched mono or stereo. It only happens when the seed button is pressed or latched.

When the density is turned CCW it begins to oscillate (digital clicks and audible sounds whenever the loop starts). Shape doesn’t affect the crackling either… actually nothing but density affects the sound. All knobs and functions seem to be working affectively underneath the crackling sound. Took a quick video to show the problem.

1 Like

This is not an issue.

You have enabled (probably by mistake), a feature of the module that causes it to output a trigger signal on the R output. The R output is not sending audio, but a trigger pulse at the beginning of each grain. At audio rate and with regularly spaced grains, it’ll thus behave like a square oscillator, this is fairly obvious in the video when you sweep DENSITY. This signal is not really meant to be heard, but rather, to trigger further envelopes, sequences, S&H etc in sync with the grains.

Here is the relevant section of the manual:

Hold the button [M] and press the SEED button [C] to enable (or disable) the generation of a grain trigger signal on the R output. A patch cable will have to be inserted in the R output for this to work without affecting the L output!

6 Likes

Thanks, Émilie! Appreciate the quick response. You are right, I accidentally activated it, all good now and I feel silly for not reading the manual thoroughly. Thanks again!

1 Like