Beads' Pitch CV problem

I’m having lots of fun with the new Beads module and cannot get enough of it since it arrived yesterday. I’m having one little issue, though. As soon as I plug any kind of V/Oct CV control into the Pitch patching point on the Beads the tuning goes out of whack by 25cents. It doesn’t matter whether I use Matriarch’s CV Out or a midi keyboard through Polyend’s Poly2 and its CV Out, the issue is the same. As soon as I plug anything into the Pitch CV on the Beads the Pitch goes 25cents out of tune. Any ideas how to fix this? Is it possible that my unit is miscalibrated out of factory?

1. I’m aware of the fact, that you can use Beads’ Pitch knob to tune it, but even if I do manage to get it right, as soon as I pull the cable out of the Pitch CV it’s 25cents out of tune the other way around…
  2. I’ve been using mostly its internal waveform granules to have fun until now and it works great and stays in tune as long as I don’t plug anything into the Pitch CV In.
  3. When the pitch knob is dead centre and there’s nothing patched into the Pitch CV in, Beads is dead-on in tune. As soon as I plug any cv-tracking voltage from any source into Pitch CV in it goes out of tune by around 25 cents.
  4. Checked other modules by MI that I own (Plaits) and there are no similar issues, it’s perfectly in tune whether v/Oct is plugged or not - there’s just no difference in tuning.

Does it happen in granular processing mode, or with the wavetable synth?

I’ve been using it only in wavetable synth mode up until now, with no external audio input. Had so much fun that didn’t even arrive at processing external signals yet.

I don’t have access to a module to check this, but as far as I remember the calibration procedure is:

• Press both buttons (assign and quality mode)
  • 1V on the PITCH CV input
  • Press quality button
  • 3V on the PITCH CV input
  • Press quality button again
  • 1V on the DENSITY CV input
  • Press quality button
  • 3V on the DENSITY CV input
  • Press quality button again

Let me know if this works!

4 Likes

Thank you, Émilie, for a quick and perfect solution to my problem! That surely did the trick. My module is now perfectly in tune. :relaxed:

Thanks for this, I had the exact same issue and this fixed it. Loving Beads so far!

I’m having a pitch issue with Beads in Wavetable mode, but it’s a little different than this. With a quantized pitch sequence into the Pitch jack and the attenurandomizer at 12 o’clock I get odd pitch fluctuation. This only happens when I have a trigger going into the Seed Jack and the dry/wet up. With the dry/wet full CCW it’ll play in perfect pitch. If I take the trigger out and manually push the Seed button the pitch doesn’t have these fluctuations regardless of the dry/wet position.

I tried the calibration but that didn’t change anything. I’ve also tried moving the pitch attenurandomizer around from noon but that only increases the pitch fluctuation.

Anyone else have this issue?

In wavetable mode, the “dry” signal follows continuously the PITCH CV input; while the “wet” signal samples it once at each grain.

Are the triggers sent to the SEED input related to the pitch sequence? Is it the same clock that drives the sequence? It could be related to this:

Ah ok, yeah I’m using Rene 2018 for the gate and pitch, so maybe related to a delay in the trigger or pitch change at each step? Weird.

What is happening is that you’re triggering the grain while the CV hasn’t reached exactly the next note yet, so the grain is playing an in-between note. The exact same thing would happen with a sample&hold.

Do you have a way of delaying the trigger sent to Beads?

I could probably use Maths to do it, what you suggested in the other thread. I could also try clocking Marbles with the gate out of Rene and use the t2 out to Seed. Maybe that would add enough latency?

Yes, you will get some extra latency by sending the gate through Beads, but keep in mind that Marbles’ clock input is for regular or repetitive patterns!