Beads Issue

Hello - I am having an issue with crackling/noise using Beads and cannot figure it out. My simple patch notes (numbers based on clock position):

Patch

1. Ripples freq. @ 12
  2. Resonance at 5
  3. PNW decay env on level
  4. Low-passed output into In L of Beads
  5. Beads L out into output module
  6. Beads knobs as follows:

Density: 5

Time: 10

Pitch: 9

Size: 3

Shape: 10

Mix: 2

Density: 0

White quality

Freeze off

No other modulation, attenurandonizers at 12

Turning the knobs does not seem to lower the crackling/noise. Going straight from Ripples to my output module has no crackling/noise. Using different inputs on output module does not have any impact. Using Bead’s wavetable oscillator does not have this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Isn’t it normal for the module to produce crackling/noise at those settings?

You’re generating grains randomly at the maximum rate (density at 5) – the interval between them can be as low as a few ms. They have an envelope with no attack time (shape at 10).

Even playing with the density knob and putting at 2 and shape to any other setting still produces the crackling.

Can you post a recording?

I’ll have to record it into my DAW and upload, so hopefully in the next couple hours. Thanks for taking a look!

Ok I was able to record and upload to SoundCloud. Here

I played around with density, size, and shape during the recording.

Maybe you could zero in on a particular setting that you find problematic?

The clicks in this clip could very well be due to the envelope shape, or many grains together replaying the sharp attack in the source material.

At a first listen, I don’t hear anything that the module shouldn’t be doing given these settings and this source material.

I’ll play around with other sound sources and see if it remains. You’re right, it could just be an artifact from PNWs sharp attack in the envelope setting. I’ll update soon with what I find.

Ok I just tried it with a DFAM and had no noise issues. It has a 4ms attack mode on its env., so I’m thinking PNW has less than that which, as you mentioned, probably is the cause of the result I heard. Couldn’t find the exact value in the PNW manual.

Sorry to have wasted your time. Cheers, and thank you.

if the PNW decay env is literally a decay envelope, it will have a null attack (or more accurately, digitally, one sample long), causing a very sharp transient in the source material (Ripples’ VCA goes to audio rate, so it won’t smooth the envelope at all). This click can be picked up and repeated over and over by Beads.

Two observations:

• It is not because the envelope on Beads is set to something smooth (eg, the bell) that the signal will necessarily be smooth. If, for example, a sharp transient in the source material is right at the apex of the bell, this transient will be very audible, even enveloped!
  • Beads’ doesn’t have Clouds’ transient smearing bank of all-pass filters.
1 Like