Beads - feedback control (knob J)

I have a question concerning the feedback control. It clearly works when using it in the wavetable setting as you can hear the different banks of waveforms. However, I have to say I don’t see/hear much difference when turning it on other settings. Is there a way to test this that would demonstrate what is happening (or not), and that the unit is functioning correctly?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, I only bought it in December 2021, so the firmware is up to date - from what’s already described on another thread.

You might not hear feedback because:

• TIME is high, so it takes a long time for the feedback to build up.
  • TIME is randomized, so the grains are randomly taken from a segment of the buffer not affected yet by feedback.
  • The grains are too sparse, so what is fed back is not a continuous stream of sound.
  • The interplay of the different settings causes the output signal to have a low amplitude, requiring a high amount of feedback.
  • The attenurandomizers are set to extreme values and the material generated by the module is already too chaotic and messy to yield any effect.

Try this:

• DRY/WET fully clockwise, SIZE at 12 o’clock and DENSITY at 9 o’clock (so the grains are overlapping, heard and produce a continuous sound).
  • SHAPE at 2 o’clock (to get a smooth grain envelope).
  • TIME fully CCW (so the feedback doesn’t take a lot of time to build-up).
  • PITCH at 11 or 1 o’clock.
  • Attenurandomizers at 12 o’clock.

Each grain will be pitch-shifted and then fed-back, creating a kind of very inharmonic chord.

The feedback is also very noticeable when SIZE is fully CW (delay mode).

4 Likes

Okay, now you hear it.

In fact, setting the controls as you suggest and then turning the feedback from zero CCW to full CW, really demonstrates what’s happening. And, as you say it creates a sort of chord (or big sounding drone), which you just need to press freeze and you have some very nice material to work with.

BTW, you should put your example into the manual, it not only illustrates how it works, but sounds very good indeed!

Thanks for the help and explanation.