Beads - clicks when modulating quantized delay parameters

I tried Beads in clocked delay mode tonight. I was hoping I might be able to substitute it as a more interesting alternative to Chronoblob 2 that could get weird on demand.

I was having trouble making sense of what Time does at its different positions. The manual makes clear that it modifies the delay rate defined by Density, but in practice, I was having trouble making sense of it. I was also wondering if any combination of settings could produce a ping-pong effect.

The tap or external clock sets a time. The DENSITY knob divides it, and the TIME knob multiplies it. For example if you send quarter notes and set DENSITY at 12 o’clock (no division), then TIME will allow you to access delay times of 1 quarter note, 2 quarter notes, 3 quarter notes, etc.

No.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. So Time multiplies starting from its low position. I think I had it in my head that it was based on noon like Density. Thank you for the clarification. I will experiment further.

I’ll have to check but this seems consistent with the intended behavior: TIME selects a multiplication factor of the base delay time, starting at 1. This is a quantized control. The “intervals” you describe are just the positions where the delay jumps to the next factor. For example, if DENSITY selects a base time of 100ms, turning TIME will cause the playhead to jump abruptly from say, 100ms to 200ms, 300ms, 400ms – causing a discontinuity in the waveform.

If there is enough CPU left, I can add a crossfade, expect several days of work for figuring that out neatly.

2 Likes

I think I had freeze on when I was hearing clicks last night.

The clicks seem to appear at random. I can’t duplicate the specific knob positions and get it to appear regularly without external clock. I wasn’t in Delay mode with the Size knob either.

If you’re running out of CPU. I’d happily get rid of the reverb for the crossfade or zero crossing.

What I’m thinking is that TIME could have a short zone during which it crossfades two taps between the two times. So for example it would be 100ms for a while, then a short time during which it crossfades between a tap at 100 and another tap at 200… then 200 ms for a while, then crossfade between a 200ms tap and a 300ms tap. Kind of like the PITCH knob has virtual notches. But instead of sweeping the time, it gently crossfade two taps at the two multiples.

3 Likes

These are not CPU issues.

Status update:

• Click when FREEZE is disabled: fixed (it was just a matter of increasing the crossfade duration constant).
  • Click in delay mode when sweeping TIME, with an internal clock: fixed, the TIME control is no longer hard-quantized, but instead, there is a small transition zone when the taps at different multiples crossfade into each other.
  • Click in externally clocked delay mode when the clock is jittery or when the multiplication selected by TIME wildly amplifies a small jitter in the clock: can be reproduced in-vitro, I will think about a solution.
  • CPU overload: I keep it for the end once the rest of the code is stable and all CPU use measurement won’t be subjected to changes.
28 Likes

I’ve been working intensively with beads for a few days now and I have to say it not only sounds fantastic but is also very playable live.
Now comes the but.
In delay mode I find it less playable live. Especially the glitch sounds of the density knob around the 12 o’clock position with internal clocking of the seed. The effect is quite nice but often too loud and sharp and hinders one very much when fine-tuning a delay time.
It would also be nice if there was a way to quantize the Freeze/BeatRepeat function. Matched to an applied clock at the seed input for example.
Sorry the whole thing is of course whining at the highest level, but maybe also something that others would like to see.
One thing is for sure, Beads is already a future classic!
Thanks Émilie for this wonderful module.

The delay mode clicks will be fixed. Software issue.

2 Likes