Beads as Modulator for LFO's,

Greetings Émelie,

I have a couple of questions out of curiosity. Right now I’m exploring the possibilty to mangle modulations like lfo’s envelopes and so on with fx modules, like the beads.

First am I right to assume, that the inputs and outputs are not dc coupled?

Second, could it be possible if I insert a non audible (for example 2 Hz) LFO into the Beads, that the wavetable osc bleeds through? Because I get the LFO out the output (a bit mangled, like when I insert an sine i get something more like sawish output, maybe because of the preamp or limiting circuit) but as well I can here sounds on my speakers. Like really quiet but aubible. Sounds a bit like wavetable and seems to follow the lfo as well. Hard to describe. Could it be that because it is dc voltage that beads thinks that nothing is at the input? But then the wavetable osc should be normale volume. Hard to get my head around what’s happening.

And third, is it possible to mangle the code (if it’s released some day) to code around that? That it can detect dc voltages? I guess no if the inputs are not dc coupled, but what I don’t undrrstand is that sometimes it workes that I can delay and granulize the lfo or envelope, not in a way I expect (tried with 4ms dual looping delay in dc coupled mode and vcv rack) but it seems to do something.

Sorry for the maybe confusing post and that I’m not fond of techbical aspects like how dc and ac coupling really works, but maybe you can help me to understand everything better.

Thanks in advance, I hope to don’t waste your time :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Greetings frank

The inputs are AC-coupled (most of what the module offers wouldn’t really work on DC signals), and the outputs are DC-coupled (this allows the R output to be repurposed as a gain trigger output).

The wavetable osc does not “bleed through”. The wavetable mode is an on/off thing and the inputs have to be physically disconnected for this mode to be activated.

An AC-coupling circuit is just a high-pass filter. When you are feeding an LFO signal to Beads, the module records and processes its highest frequencies (above a few Hz) – for example its fast transitions, edges, and if it is digitally generated, whatever digital artifacts are present. In addition, Beads can introduces its own audible components to the signal (for example if you generate grains at audio rate, or with sharp envelopes).

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply. Makes all sense :slight_smile: especially the part with fast transitions and edges, because when i feed a suare or saw lfo it does a lot to the signal. I couldn’t at that time tell what it was doing, but it was fun because it put out some choatic pattern when i turned up density cw. Used it as a “pseudo” choatic generator haha but now it makes more sense to me.

Thanks again :slight_smile: