Attenuate Stages LFO

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I’m finding it a little difficult to keep track of the various firmware versions that are available for Stages. Anyway, my question is: is there a way to attenuate the LFOs in Stages? I rarely want an LFO to swing through its full range.

Not with the official firmware.

However, qiemem firmware does this (among many, many other things): Release Stages bipolar multi-mode firmware v1.1.0 · qiemem/eurorack · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks Emilie. I see an attenuator segment in that firmware, but I don’t see a parameter on an LFO segment to control the attenuation. Just the rate and shape. Or is that what you’re referring to?

By the way, from a new customer, you have my utmost admiration.

My bad! I have never used that firmware myself, and thought that one of the button combos could attenuate the level of any segment. It looks like you will have to use a separate attenuverter segment for that.

I also assumed it would be there. I guess that’s an idea for the next alternative firmware update :slight_smile:

It’s definitely one of the most requested features. The main thing that’s been holding me back is the memory required to store the setting. Right now, it would have to be heavily discretized (for instance, you could attenuate so the max voltage is 8v, 5v, 3v, or 1v, but nothing in between), which definitely makes it less useful. With attenuator segments available, and lots of ways to attenuate things in general in eurorack, I’m just not sure if it’s worth it. Also, I’m running out of button combos :stuck_out_tongue: I would probably generalize the polarity combo (hold button and wiggle pot) to control polarity and amplitude, but that would mean you’d have to be a lot more careful when quickly switching an LFO’s polarity.

Also if you really just a want a ton of attenuatable LFOs, you can take the harmonic oscillator mode down to LFO range (which you can do by negative CV in the stock firmware, or with a button combo in mine). You get 6 bipolar, attenuated, related LFOs, which can be a very fun source of modulation.

5 Likes