Apple Patents IR Tech For Detecting The Force Of Touch

Apple Patents IR Tech For Detecting The Force Of Touch

I believe ; this means we should expect all this virtual midi control interfaces on iOS devices ( such as Lemur , Midi Designer ) might provide pressure sensitive pads ( areas ) like Ableton Push or NI Maschine.

It is interesting and sounds good.

Do you use any of virtual midi control interfaces on iOS devices ( such as Lemur , Midi Designer ) to control your Shruthis ?What is your experience ?

Apple patents a lot of shit (just like any big tech company). This does not mean it will actually end up in a product at all.

Yes you are right like it took years until they made inter-app audio available but this one might also need to wait couple of iOS device ( HW ) iterations until becomes available and those are really long cycles but still exciting.

It sure would be cool to have that on a touch device, no question! It still will not solve the tactile feedback problem, but make the touchscreens a lot more interesting as controllers.

I use lemur from time to time, and it’s a cool piece of software. haven’t really found the way to use it in a really meaningful way yet, but I guess that’s more because I haven’t had enough time to dedicate to it.

I’ve used ipad and smartphone as controllers from time to time but i’m always coming back to hardware controllers.
I think only tactile displays might change that. But i guess they are still at least 10 years away since i’ve never actually seen one.

It’s already possible to implement basic velocity-sensitivity on an iOS device by clever processing of the accelerometer data. I’m surprised more iOS music apps haven’t attempted this, actually.

Continuous pressure sensitivity would be cool, of course, but pressing on a hard glass surface still isn’t the best tactile experience.

Interesting to see if this goes anywhere, though.

a|x

Employees are given targets for the number of patents they register.

As for force of touch, it’s been done before by using the accelerometer.

@6581punk I think initial touch velocity can be done, but continuous touch pressure measurement hasn’t been done, to my knowledge.

I imagine that might be possible by measuring the varying area of the finger touching the display, based on the fact that the fingertip will flatten if the finger is pressed more firmly on a hard surface, and the area actually in contact with the display will therefore increase. This would probably already have been done though, if it were actually possible.

a|x

Just use a keyboard :slight_smile:

I don’t get this obsession with trying to make horribly limited stuff almost behave like the real thing :slight_smile:

Silly me ! I forgot to add the article in first post and here it is

I’m more excited about the reversible USB connector that has been announced, plus it can provide a lot more power in theory.