Apple m1

sorry for the ignorance, will it be possible to create the environment on the new apple m1?

Which environment?

mutable-dev-environment

What is the problem when using the environment in its current format?

after giving the vagrant up command, the process ends with this message …

There was an error while executing VBoxManage, a CLI used by Vagrant

for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.

Command: [“startvm”, “b9f7757a-cc3d-4b12-a64c-f8c74ce34c41”, “–type”, “headless”]

Stderr: VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine ‘mutable-dev-environment-master-2_default_1614102588963_57051’ has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)

VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component MachineWrap, interface IMachine

i used the latest versions of vb and vagrant. I can’t install the previous ones.

Online reports say that this indicates a bad Virtualbox install:

does virtualbox actually run on apple M1?

no; virtualbox needs x86

easy fix I guess? get a new computer :frowning:

more annoying fix, replicate the environment within an arm based docker container.

I’ve done some similar work getting docker deployed ghost based web servers on an rpi.

macOS doesn’t actually need any virtualization to run the software required to build and debug MI code. You can place the compiler directly in a folder without any form of installation and adjust the toolchain path in the MI makefile. All other software can be installed via homebrew.

openocd needs one of the very new unreleased versions to work with STM32H7 which will be required for beads once it’s open sourced (but I think there’s a new openocd version out now but it’s not widely available yet)

correct, but now it’s much harder than just distributing a virtualbox that can uniformly compile the firmware no matter what the host OS state is.

1 Like