Anushri MIDI play issues

Just reclothed my Anushri with the euro panel and of Adrian’s metal enclosures. Looks great!

However, it’s reminded me of a few niggles with the Anushri when playing it live from a MIDI keyboard or external sequencer.

1. Legato notes are not handled. If a previous note has not been released before a new one is played, the new note is (as far as I can tell) simply ignored. I think it would be best if legato notes triggered the glide effect, in the same way as a glide step in the same way as a glide step in the sequencer.

2. It’s not possible to use the sequencers Accent effect when playing the Anushri from a MIDI keyboard. Either notes with a velocity above a certain threshold (say 120) should trigger an accent, or accent should be mapped to the whole velocity range. The first option is probably easier to implement, but the second might also be fun.

3. Aftertouch should not be mapped to filter cutoff, certainly not by default, anyway. It might be nice to retain the option, but please can we have a way of removing the mapping? Others may find it useful, but for me it’s very irritating, and makes the Anushri practically unplayable from a MIDI keyboard.

I do realise that the Anushri was not primarily designed to be played from a MIDI keyboard. However, since the option is there to do so, it seems a shame that these small issues hamper it’s usability in this mode. I also think it’s a good thing to be able to emulate what can be done with the internal sequencer when sequencing from an external device, which isn’t currently possible without a way to trigger the glide and accent effects.

I’m sure these small tweaks wouldn’t be too hard to implement, for someone who knows their way around the code.

Who’s with me?

a|x

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of mapping velocity to VCF ENV in a continuous, rather than binary way. That way, you can apply different amounts of accent to different notes, or just use maximum velocity to emulate the builtin sequencer accent toggle.

a|x

Just noticed in the MIDI implementation chart that there’s a CC for Legato Mode. Can’t try this right now, as I’m at work, but this probably answers point 1, assuming one of the selectable modes creates a glide effect on legato notes. However, I still think it would be better to have another mode as the default. The current default ‘ignore overlapping notes entirely’ isn’t very useful, really.

a|x

1. This is not normal, you might be doing something wrong here… Maybe your keyboard is sending the “all notes off” message of death? The default behaviour is that whenever a new note is played, it replaces the previously played note, just like on the Shruthi.

I don’t agree that the legato effect should always be active by default - when playing a sequence rapidly, notes can overlap and you might still want the envelope to retrigger for each of them.

There is a proper legato mode which can be activated by CC.

2. Velocity can be mapped to either amplitude or filter cutoff. Adding a rule that velocity > 120 should trigger the “accent” would make things unnatural when playing from the keyboard, since there would be the risk that playing one note a bit higher in terms of velocity than the other (say going from 119 to 121) would make things sound totally different.

3. For now, the only option is to disable aftertouch on your controller keyboard.

> without a way to trigger the glide and accent effects.

There’s a CC for legato mode, for portamento time ; and the accent is just a temporary increase of filter envelope amount, which is also controllable by CC. This is not like on the 303 in which accent and glide are mysterious things…

3. I agree with @toneburst. I’d prefer the aftertouch NOT be mapped by default. I ran into the same issues. I ended up playing from an old keyboard that didn’t have aftertouch! Sounded great then.

Aftertouch is gone.

+1 for aftertouch being removed. I’ve been filtering it out when playing with a midi keyboard

@pichenettes Thanks for getting back to me. I remember now when we last had this discussion.

Re.1
I’ll have a look at this when I get home. The Legato Mode CC should fix that issue, anyway.

Re.2
I think it should at least be an option, if not the default. I take your point, but I could very quickly get used to hitting a key harder to apply accent- afterall, that’s what accent is supposed to be for… It’s supposed to simulate plucking a string or hitting a drum harder!

The other reason for implementing this feature is so that you can easily program sequences with accent from an external sequencer. I know this can be done currently with the filter env amount CC, but it’s fiddly. I’d like to be able to do that simply by programming a note with a higher velocity.

I’m not knocking the builtin Anushri sequencer, which is great as a sketchpad and source of ideas, but i still maintain that it would be useful to be able to emulate what it does sonically using an external sequencer, with a similar level of simplicity.

Re.3
Next you’ll be trying to sell me a device for filtering out aftertouch. Oh, wait, I already have a MIDIPal… :wink:

Not the answer I was looking for, though…

a|x

There’s nothing like “accent” on monosynths - to me it’s an old-fashioned sequencer thing (back when every bit of memory counted and where controlling analog circuit through discrete on/off switches was cheaper than with a continous VCA), and it wasn’t there in the original Anushri firmware indeed. I added it to the sequencer later because a few people requested it. You already have velocity assignable to either amplitude or filter cutoff.

True, but neither of these options emulate what the sequencer accent function does. I just think if you’re going to have accent on the sequencer (whether it was an afterthought or not), it makes sense to be able to apply the same thing when controlling the synth from an external device.

Could velocity be switchable to apply either to filter cutoff directly, OR VCF ENV, maybe, for continuously-variable accent amount?

I understand the history of accent controls, and I’m not wedded to the idea that it needs to be a binary thing. I just like the way the sequencer accent option allows you to alter VCF ENV on a per-note basis, to make the note more ‘twangy’, and think it would be cool to be able to do the same thing, in an intuitive and immediate way, when controlling the box from an external MIDI device.

It’s a different effect, sonically, and, I’d argue, a useful and fun alternative to altering the cutoff frequency by velocity.

a|x

I may be wrong, but I think some synths with velocity-sensitive keyboards allowed for velocity to be mapped to filter envelope amount, as well as, or instead of directly to filter cutoff, so I’m pretty sure there’s a precedent for this.

a|x

I have no access to a synth at the moment so the effect might be too mild or too pronounced, but you can give a try to this update…

This replaces the velocity->cutoff routing by velocity->envelope amount. I still want the velocity->VCA mapping to be around so this is an either/or situation.

Great! I’ll try that in a few minutes and get back to you.

a|x

@pichenettes that’s perfect! Exactly what I had in mind- thank you

I’d be happy to have that instead of the previous velocity>cutoff mapping, to be honest.

Maybe CC 29 could add cutoff mod between 0 and 64, and then switch to adding filter env mod between 65 and 126, with maybe 127 reserved for a simple binary accent switch, equivalent to the sequencer accent effect, with a velocity threshold of say 120.

I’m probably overcomplicating, but that should keep everyone happy, i think.

a|x

I notice that when transposing a sequence playing from the internal Anushri sequencer by hitting a key on my controller keyboard, the velocity of the pressed note from the keyboard also applies an offset to the filter env mod amount- so if you hit a key hard, all the notes in the sequence end up with more filter envelope modulation applied.

I don’t know if this effect was intended. Not sure if I like it or not…

a|x

> I’m probably overcomplicating, but that should keep everyone happy, i think.

If other people have the same complaint as you, I’ll redirect them to this unofficial firmware build.

> I don’t know if this effect was intended

Yes.

Cool, thanks, pichenettes.

a|x

Wow. Cool. Cant wait to try this!

@sparky you won’t be disappointed- sounds great!

a|x

Just loaded this up. Much better to play! Thanks @pichenettes.