Anushri Drums & Microgranny2

Here’s a fun question that I couldn’t find in the MIDI Standard spec:

What should the standard behavior be if a note message is sent without any velocity data? Play note at full volume or play note at zero volume?

My reason for asking: I was trying to get my Anushri to trigger some drums on my microgranny2 via MIDI out. The MG2 flashed and was clearly getting MIDI, but no sound output. After sticking the MIDIpal in the stream, I noticed there was no velocity data being sent. I know @pichenettes is usually a very by-the-book MIDI Standard guy, so I’m assuming the Anushri is fine and the MG2 has the bad code… but mostly just curious if this is actually spelled out in the standard!

Note On with velocity 0 == Note Off

The difference here is that there’s no value sent, not a 0.

There’s no such thing as a MIDI note message with no velocity data. That would be two byte long, and the receiver only processes the message when the third byte (velocity data) has been received. Either this third byte is the velocity data, or it’s a status byte, in which case the 2/3-assed MIDI message is discarded by the receiver.

Ok, so then what is Anushri transmitting? Because when I send it thru the MIDIpal monitor, was seeing a note followed by --. Is that zero velocity?

– = “off”.

Anushri sends a note on and very shortly later a note off. That’s not an issue with drum modules in general since they don’t make use of the note off message - they just trigger the sample / synth envelopes on the note on message. I believe that’s what causes the problem with the microgranny - you need to configure it so that it has a release time.

Aha! Thanks for the wisdom, sire.

OK, changed the topic title…

Even adjusting the release did not get the Anushri properly triggering the MG2. Yet even the lightest, quickest tap on a key from my Oxygen8 triggers it just fine. MIDI stream is as follows:

Oxygen8 > Anushri> MIDIpal -> microgranny2 (or Volca Beats)

Any ideas? Maybe even my quick note tapped on the Oxygen8 is still much longer than what Anushri sends and the MG2 is having a hard time handling a note on and note off so close together?

“Anushri sends a note on and very shortly later a note off”

Maybe there is some way to extend this interval in the anushri code?

> Maybe there is some way to extend this interval in the anushri code?

No.

Yeah Anushri definitely isn’t the culprit here, but it’s definitely doing something differently from my keymashing that the MG2 doesn’t like. I guess it’s time to feed the MIDI into the PC to get a proper log and see what’s really going on.

@bleo: Does it work with your Volca Beats? With Anushri connected to Volca Beats I have no problem. On the contrary: lots of fun!

Im guessing the mg has a minimum amount of time to gate the signal that anushri isn’t giving it. Or it drops midi notes that are too short!

Yes, Anushri into Volca Beats works fine (and yes, lots of fun, which is why I’ve kept trying to figure out what the MG2 specifically doesn’t like. Never doubted the Anushri)

>Im guessing the mg has a minimum amount of time to gate the signal that anushri isn’t giving it.

Yeah, something like the note off from the Anushri being received before the envelope (release) is triggered. microgranny2 isn’t the tightest code (), so this wouldn’t surprise me.