Anushri Clock output to ADSR/LFO

Hi all. I have a Thomas Henry/fonitronik adsr that I built. When I send the clock out of the Anushri to the trigger input I have no problem with either unit, but if I send the clock out to the gate input of the Adsr The Anushri leds all go out and I have to restart it to get it functioning again. Is something wrong or am I just not supposed to send a clock signal to a gate input?

Theres something wrong, your ADSR Gate In Shorts the Anushris Output BADLY.

What might happen: the Gate Out is protected by an 4050 as Driver, these Chips may draw so much power when shorted that you have a low Spike on the PowerRail so the Anushris MCU goes into Brownout.

Things to check: Does the ADSR workt with other Gate Signals properly?
If its PanelMountWirenest: do you have accidentially connected Tip to GND on the GateIn Jack of the ADSR?

Oh, and you might have killed your 4050…

Its a component pcb so no panel wiring.

The adsr works normally with the Anushri gate output or the the output frof my Turing Machine pulses expander output. It just the clock output to the adsr gate input that causes the problem. I dont think anything on the Anushri is fried…yet.

Do you have the schematics of your ADSR gate input?

puh… obviously im not totally wrong …

here’s all the info about the ADSR circuit
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54641

I’ve built that module too and I must say that the circuit is a bit weird (and most people who built it will agree). For example it is supposed to be looping when you set it to “looping mode” but this doesn’t work for most people for some reason.

The original schematic is located here:
http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54641

Information/schematic on additional features added by fonitronik are here:
http://www.modular.fonik.de/pdf/TH_CMOS_ADSR_by_fonik.pdf

I overread the Thomas Henry… what you did wrong is build this thing from a PCB folowing instructions - TH schematics are more like My Gyver doing this while blindfolded and only with an old Russioan Tube, 2AAs and Chewing gum . . . .

That +15v on the gate input socket looks scary - it is meant to be disconnected when you plug in your patch cable, but there might well be a (short) moment when that +15v flows into your Anushri clock output while you plug in (or out).

Have you tried plugging into the ADSR before you plug into the Anushri clock output ?

@eelco, no I don’t believe I have.

I overread the Thomas Henry…. what you did wrong is build this thing from a PCB folowing instructions – TH schematics are more like My Gyver doing this while blindfolded and only with an old Russioan Tube, 2AAs and Chewing gum . . . .

yeah… learned that myself the hard way. I’ve built two of Fonik’s PCBs made from TH’s projects: this ADSR and the Controller LFO… and none of these work as expected. The LFO didn’t work at all… and I wasn’t able to find out what was wrong. Now Rosch has it… let’s hope he is better than I am at troubleshooting.

I have no problems with the TH 555 VCO and like it a lot. I wanted the controller LFO, but was late to the party. That sucks that yours is not working.

I still have to test the Anushri to make sure it is still fully functional. I probably zapped it 5 times while testing…don’t ask me why I kept trying…I don’t have a good answer.

You might have fried a 4050 IC - fairly cheap, and socketed, so easily replaced.

Let us know what happens when you try plugging into the ADSR before you plug into the Anushri clock output …

I might have some. If not, it may be a while until I make my next order. I probably won’t be able to do any troubleshooting until Sunday as I will be camping.

Thanks for the assistance so far everyone.

I’ve just made a quick test and can confirm what by now is pretty obvious: you have a problem in the circuit somewhere. My Anushri can trigger the ADSR allright by patching the clock out into the gate in on the ADSR, nothing crashes.

Ok. I will take another look this weekend. Thank you.

@rumpelfilter: in which order did you plug in your patch cable ? ADSR first, then Anushri ? That should be OK: I would not be comfortable the other way around (see my earlier comment) …

hmm… not sure, I think I patched everything together then switched on modular, then the Anushri… but I can’t remember exactly

@eelco
I dont think its a Jack Problem as they are all stricktly designed “break before make”.