Anushri as Gate to MIDI-clock convertor

Hi list,

Built my Christmas Anushri last week, kit is beautiful. All parts were present, packing great, arrived before Christmas and worked upon first powerup! Sound == awesome. Thanks Olivier and Frank.

I was happy to notice a clock in jack, and the note in the manual about LFO sync locking-in implied that there was some software PLL action happening in there. I’ve been secretly hoping for a device that can up-rate my 4ppqn clock out from my old CR-68 or DR-55 (which have no clock input) to drive a midi system at 24ppqn. In other words, a gate-to-MIDI clock convertor with clock multiplication, so I can use the CR-68 as master of everything. I’ve modded my DR-55 to accept clock in, but don’t really want to mess up my CR-68.

I see the clock resolution part of the manual, and can press hold+drums to drive an external midi sequencer (my trusty poly800II) at various PPQN rates, divided down from the Anushri master clock. Great! I can similarly drive the Anushri from an external device (a monotron sync out), with the tempo knob full CCW, to get the Anushri to follow the monotron, and interpret the monotron clock variously as 4,16,24ppqn. Perfect.

Now the request – if I try to use the Anushri as a pure sync device, trying to drive the poly800II sequencer from the Monotron, the monotron rate seems to be passed from input (clock in) to MIDI clocks directly without the upconversion setting implied by the anushri ppqn control. So the say, 4ppqn coming out of monotron makes the poly800 midi client, who naturally expects 24ppqn, go verrry slooowly. Changing the PPQN setting of Anushri has no effect. Is that the intended operation? I would kind of hope that if I have anushri set to external tempo, then the anushri PPQN setting would control BOTH the anushri clock rate (it does now) AND the midi ticks (it doesn’t now, if I’ve understood correctly). It seems to upsame for internal use, but doesn’t pass that to MIDI.

Is this the correct interpretation of the behaviour? If so, I’d like to request that the MIDI out tick rate be post-upsampling, e.g. 6x if 4ppqn rate selected, in other words, MIDI sequencers downstream should get the benefit of the rate multiplication that Anushri does internally, when anushri ext. clock is active.

Thanks!

Warm regards to all,
min_phase

Anushri doesn’t have a PLL so it cannot do upsampling of an incoming clock signal into 24 ppqn for MIDI. There is a simple PLL indeed, but only “good enough” for LFO sync. Reducing the clock resolution parameter only reduces the internal resolution of the arpeggiator/sequencer.

Hi pichenettes, that was nearly 10 minutes for a response, you must be sleeping or something :wink:

Restating the question –
case 1: with Anushri as master clock, free-running, I can set tempo to create drum loop at 120 bpm and also drive an external midi sequencer who is slaved to anushri. Anushri sw ppqn = 24. Poly800 playing 16th note pulse, Moroder is in my house.

case 2: Anushri as slave to CR-68. I can get both the CR-68 and Anushri drums in sync, bass drums on 1, snares on 5, hihats every 16th, tempo = 120bpm. Midi output clocks are slow, in case2, regardless of anushri ppqn sw setting. Giorgio is snorting cocaine from between the … hey, man. Not in the studio.

So I can get anushri sequencer running at the same 120bpm tempo in the real world in both cases. Why can’t I get midi clocks out in case2 at the same rate as midi clocks in case1? I think I’m being dense. Don’t waste too many cycles explaining. As long as you’ve got the question understood, I’m OK with a ‘you can’t get there from here’.

Thanks, mp

@min_phase
id like to forward all the cheers to olivier; makin the girls sort a kit comparing to creating the anushri… its like comparing a can of maggi ravioli to a locatelli pasta dish.

Hi Ravioli. Thanks for getting that kit out to me before Christmas. That was very kind of you (and the girls!). My kids really appreciated having a present for Dad under the tree. Lots of thanks to go round, to all the pastas of the world.

“You can’t get there from here.”

For Anushri, I prefered offering a spot-on sync mechanism (“detect raising gate on clock input -> emit MIDI clock signal”), than put a PLL (which would allow regenerating a 24ppqn clock signal from the 4ppqn input) and get more delay/jitter. So the clock output is whatever Anushri has access too without approximation/interpolation, either the exact same clock it is receiving, or the exact same clock it is generating. No making up / guessing clock ticks.