Another polyphonic on the road?

Looks good, curious about it :

http://futureson.us/blog/

Looks nice. I like the OLEDs and the USB host port. There are a few things I’d like to see added as well: loopable envs, MIDI clock sync on the LFOs etc. Think I’ll email them.

Interesting UI: dedicated knobs for each type of parameter. and multiple encoders and sections of the OLED display for switching between each set or class of parameters. Could be a good compromise between the expensive one-knob-per-function approach and the menu-diving-with-a-single-encoder approach.

Exept that you still have to deal with parameter jumps. :frowning:

Yes, true. Encoders everywhere, then?

IMHO you either have encoders everywhere or you have one-pot-per-parameter so you can at least work on your current patch without jumps.

I do like the nice little oleds on this thing though.

yes. Are they individual OLEDS, or one long one turned vertically, with rotated fonts etc?

Pretty sure those are tiny individual ones; scroll down on the URL above.

The pricing below 1000USD make me wonder…

Nothing to say about the sound engine - the audio clips sounded very “new-analog” (a bit like the A4) - but damn, these OLEDs and fonts are tiny! Important contextual information for the UI (which oscillator is active, what is the current value of a parameter) is in a little 1mm x 2mm square on the screen.

The OLEDs are like the ones the MIDIBox people have been experimenting with.

It sounds nice, not a great range of demo sounds so far.

To be honest, if they are on the A4 route, then the display gets quickly unnecessary. If he develops a nice worklflow, more than a quick glance would not be needed. Ok, i personally would be forced to wear my glasses ;-

6581punk: "The OLEDs are like the ones the MIDIBox people have been experimenting with". Guilty as charged! Just likepichenettes observed they are tiny. The MBprogramma uses them more for static labels and such. Text on these guys becomes very small, the MIDIbox I’m building has LEDs and other ways of displaying pertinent info too. That said, their contrast ratio and crispness is something to behold. If that doesn’t flog your bog, your muscle memory has a way of teaching you what’s what, just like when using the myriad of remote controls cluttering up your living room :slight_smile:

They said on Facebook that they’ll write more about the synth engine during the next few weeks. It would be nice if they added sub-oscillators and ring-mod in addition to loopable envs and MIDI-synced LFOs. I don’t know though, it looks like they’re far along. Having 3 oscillators can make for some quite complex action. Arpeggiators and sequencers, both normal and mod- are also missing, at least as far as we know now, but there are ways around that too. Often you can grow tired of those one-keypress wonder patches that some try to woo you with.

I’m thinking of using one of those mini OLEDs (there’s an Adafruit 128x96px one) for a Eurorack Teensy/Arduino-based sequencer for my x0x Heart module I’ve been planning.

Anyone with more MCU-programming chops than me fancy collaborating on that, by the way, drop me a message. I’ve got as far as planning out the GUI and the feature-set, and I think I’ve come up with a few ideas that I haven’t seen in Euro form.

a|x

@pichenettes How do you define the “new analog” sound? How does it differ from “classic analog”? What do you feel might be the reason for that?

“New analog” =

• DCO or excessively stable VCOs.
  • Lots of highs, bright sound created by high bandwidth circuits made with modern op-amps and comparators, rather than transistor circuits and crappy or over-compensated op-amps (which would smooth the edges of waveforms).
  • Low noise due to good op-amps and circuitry working at fairly high signal levels - the noisiest components in the signal path being LM13700s. As opposed to diode/transistor filter cores with signal levels in the low mV range.
  • Clean waveforms hitting the filter, due to the use of op-amp mixers instead of transistor ones (you know, the CP-3…).
  • Straight and “rigid” sound due to modern engineering practices like ground planes, stable PSUs, use of voltage references. Usual suspects in “vintage” design: poor PCB grounding causing bleed/modulation, direct use of power rails as voltage references for offset + wobbly power rails causing unwanted modulations of parameters at mains rate or LED blinking rates…

… so the first thing to do when designing a vintage sounding something is a crappy PSU :wink:

These days if you added some of these vintage traits there would be lots of VA loving keyboard warriors commenting on videos about how noisy it sounds and that VSTs are better.

I thought it sounded a bit “thin.” I know, it’s subjective but the sound just didn’t thrill me.

You could improve that by providing Sub-oscs and make sure that you can overdrive the mixer, filter and final VCA.

Could be interesting to see what develops. Meanwhile I’ll get the Phenol to tie me over.