Ambika: smr4 or 4p closer to ssm?

are either of these filter designs producing a similar sound to the ssm filter?

What is this SSM filter you’re talking about?

http://www.siliconbreakdown.com/msl/ssm2040History.html

2040 :slight_smile:

Which circuit?

The chip in itself doesn’t have any sound. The circuit around it defines the sound.

pardon my misunderstanding- yea i thought that the 4p or the smr 4 was a similar sound to the SSM? or are neither related?

The SSM2040 is just a bunch of gain cells. They don’t have a specific sound. What is responsible for the sound of a filter is the circuit the chip is a part of. One could build completely different filters with the same SSM chip as its core.

That’s why I am interesting in knowing which synth you are interested! When you mean “SSM sound”, you have specific synths in mind. That’s what I want to know… Because I’m pretty sure the SSM chip has little to do with the sound of these - more the filter topology and choice of components around the chip…

ok i’ll shoot- prophet 5 rev 2?

or korg polysix :slight_smile:

and ppg !

Get SMR, do not solder C22.

thank you :slight_smile:

That’s interesting !
Pichenettes how would you describe how this modification impact on the sound of the filter, and do you have any other suggestions that would modify, in a pleasant way, the sound or behaviour of the SMR4 filter ?
thanks for sharing :wink:

> Pichenettes how would you describe how this modification impact on the sound of the filter,

It makes the sound goes weaker and weaker as resonance is increased (and as a side-effect, allows a very pure and loud self-oscillation “tone” to grow on top of the signal). That’s a “feature” of the 3 synths mentioned above.

Another mod would be to change signal levels - halving R25, R21, R3 and R7 ; and doubling all 1nF caps.

Sorry for necroposting…

How about the Kawai sx-240?