Ambika: No audio out of voice card slot 2

Hi
I have a couple of problems
I finally finished off my ambika today as my metal case arrived from adrian.
As I was tuning the voice cards I noticed no audio was coming out of slot two although both led’s on the card are lighting up when I have that slot selected.
I have tried a different voice card in this slot and it still doesn’t work, the first voice card works fine in the other slot though. when I try the individual out for two if I turn my monitor level up pretty high I can hear it quietly and really distorted.

Also is the first led in the 6 supposed to be orange constantly it also is green at the same time when voice card 1 is on? it’s definitely in the right way.
My final question whilst tuning I was playing C3 - C4 but the ambika was playing more of the region of C5 - C6 and just slightly out of being an octave apart is this normal. I was testing it through melodyne.

Many Thanks

> supposed to be orange constantly it also is green

Yes. Orange = receiving synth parameters data from the motherboard, green = receiving a note.

> whilst tuning I was playing C3 – C4 but the ambika was playing more of the region of C5 – C6

This depends on the cutoff frequency actually! Just make sure that the notes are an octave apart.

Make the “dead” voicecard play a note, and probe various points, including the individual output for this voicecard (if it works, would be a problem at the mixer), the middle pin of the A/B out selector (if it works, would indicate a bad connection in the voicecard stack), and then the intermediate filter poles outputs (check the schematics).

Yeah, I bet cards 4 and 6 are not working either :slight_smile: go into the patch settings menu and make sure these voices are selected for the channel you are sending on. That menu probably looks like this: [1] 2 [3] 4 [5] 6 - should be [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

@mmarsh tested all that had it so it was just [2] no sound, but had sound from every other card when each selected by themselves.

@pichenettes okay thanks, the remaining 5 voices sound tuned about right. sorry im not that good at electronics, so im not quite sure which points to test. but measuring the middle pin of the a/b on the right hand side ( the one inline with midi out) i got a reading of 4.92.

> but measuring the middle pin of the a/b on the right hand side

Do not measure, probe and listen!

Sorry do i just use a pair of cheap headphones? I tried just touching the a/b with the headphone jack but no sound and I tried the other two voice cards and no sound so i guess I was doing it wrong.
thanks

Don’t use headphones - you may destroy them or your hearing - look at the wiki pages for tips.
Cheers

http://mutable-instruments.net/wiki/Tools_of_the_trade

Audio probe section

Cheap earbuds work well for this as long as you don’t actually put them in your ears. :wink:

You can always create a gramophone style horn out of paper to amplify the sound.

Now i want a picture!

Well, I meant to amplify the sound coming from the earphone :wink:

Don’t you see the earphone in there? It’s a bit hard to spot maybe…

I can now I know it is there :slight_smile:

haha nice, would like to see someone actually fit a gramaphone to a synth cant imagine it would sound too good though.
Dont worry was only a £1 pair of headphones I bought to test when building a x0xb0x and I made sure there was no loud noise before putting them on, there wasn’t any sound at all.
Thanks I will give that probe a try, just I wont get the parts for it till friday when Im in the area of the nearest electronics shop.

thanks

So I tested on on the a/b jumpers and the sound is the same on the slot 2 voice as is it is on the other voice cards. Im not sure what exact points to test next.

“is the same on the slot 2 voice as is it is on the other voice cards”

Do you mean that it works, or that you incorrectly get the signal from another voicecard “bleeding” into the non-working one?

I placed the probe on the left hand a/b of voice cards 6,4,2 and I could hear the note that each voice card was playing. I then put the probe on the right hand a/b of those cards and heard the same noise on each card.
By left side I mean I have the ambika on its side with the ins/outs facing the ceiling.

Thanks

So the signal for voicecard 2 is present on the A/B selector, but then not present at the individual output? Now, try probing the 470 ohm resistor resistor in front of the individual output 2. Can you hear voicecard 2’s signal there.