Ambika MIDI note weirdness

hi all,

This is my very first post here.

I just acquired a pre-built 2nd hand Ambika : great little device, love it !
everything seems to work as expected, apart from 1 weird thing that fries my brain.

I can only play 10 notes in an octave. The notes are perfectly in tune, I’m just missing 2 notes in every octave. So if I want to play an octave, I have to play 10 notes up in stead of 12. There are 2 places where a note is “stolen”, and everything just shifts from there on (but stays in tune). It feel like it’s some kind of weird keyboard mapping or scaling, because it’s on all 6 voices, all the time.

To explain what’s going on, this is what I hear when I press the keys
C4 = C4
C#4 = C#4
D4 = D4
D#4 = D#4
E4 = F4 (so the E is missing and replaced by an F)
F4 = F#4
F#4 = G4
G4 = G#4
G#4 = A4
A4 = B4 (another missing note, and everything shits another half note from there)
A#4 = C5

It’s just super weird and not usable in a normal musical way. Any thoughts on what could cause this ? I tried resetting the firmware (hold S1 while switching on), but that didn’t change it.
And I did try different MIDI keyboards to make sure it’s not the keyboard.
Could the MIDI interface be acting up ?

Any help much appreciated.

It’s probably set to an alternate tuning or scale, please adjust the raga setting back to equal.

1 Like

Thanks for the super fast reply. I was wondering what raga meant :wink:
Will check asap

I just checked, and here’s the thing : I don’t seem to have a RAGA parameter.
Where RAGE is supposed to be (after SPREAD), I have a SCALE parameter, which I can change from 0 to 1, and it doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Do I have an older/later/alternate firmware ? And if so : how do I change it back easily ?

Older, no… Alternate maybe. There is no history of a parameter named “scale” in the Mutable Instruments codebase.

Just install the official firmware then, as explained in the manual!

2 Likes

OK, I’m getting there.
Starting up the unit without the SD card fixes everything.
When I look at the SD card on Ambika page 8, it shows HAMBEAKER V1.0 as firmware
But when I look at the SD card using a computer, it shows AMBIKA.BIN is there, not a sign of this HAMBEAKER to be found … weird stuff going on. I can see a MTS.BTL file on the SD card : is that supposed to be there ?

Anyway : I got it working. I just need to remember to start up without SD card inserted and all is good. Thanks !

You probably had some alternative firmware installed (though I never heard of any named HAMBEAKER) so it’s a good idea to reinstall the firmware.

Cheers

The firmware update file should always be called AMBIKA.BIN, irrespectively of which version it is.

2 Likes

Hi. I had this same issue.
I installed the firmware again and updated it to Yams and all was good

Try that

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
Where do I find Yams, or the original firmware for that matter ?
There doesn’t seem to be a download page for Ambika, or maybe I just missed it.

cheers

Hi

You can find it here …

https://github.com/bjoeri/ambika/tree/master/yam_firmware_builds

Good luck with your Ambika

2 Likes