Ambika menu system please explain it to me in-depth thanks

hi all, for thoughs of you who don’t know me i’m trey from the uk and i’m totally blind.

i’ve been considering getting an ambika for a long time now my intrised for it has been sparked up again.

please could some one give me an in-depth explanation of how the menu system works this will help me disside wether or not i will be able to cope with it.

does the menu system rap around at all? also do any of the encoders click when you tern them or are they smooth to the touch?

also has there been any changes to the ambika firmware since tubome took over the project?

your help with these questions would be most welcome, kind regards trey.

tubeohm’s version runs the same firmware. The encoder has clicks. Did you read through the ambika manual? It might cover most of your questions.

thanks for your help does the manual that mutable road still apply?

also when the encoder clicks does one tern equal one menu option?

your help with these questions would be most welcome kind regards trey.

yes, the firmware is the same as on the original ambikas so the manual still applies.
Yes, each click equals to one menu option. But I dont think you need the encoder that much. Most stuff is done by pressing the shortcut buttons to get to a specific page and then turning the knobs.

I don’t know about the setup for splits, layers, voice assignments etc. That could be hard to handle without seeing the screen. Maybe someone else can answer this better than I can.

Overall I imagine Ambika is not the ideal synth for your purpose. If you are in the market for a poly, you should consider the Dave Smith Prophet synthesizers or the Dave Smith OB6. Those have a proper 1 knob per function interface and presets are more easily accessible as well.

One thing that Ambika has going for it is that it is an open, hackable system that anyone familiar with such things could modify to suit particular needs. For sure Tubeohm (or many others that dabble is such things) could do the work for you and make the Ambika do whatever is needed to ease navigation.

I have the profit six desktop its A wicked synth :slight_smile: what colour scheme Would make the labelling On the panel really easy to read? I’m asking this because I might be able to get cited help with it :slight_smile:

> what colour scheme Would make the labelling On the panel really easy to read?

Sorry, I don’t understand your question. Are you referring to the Ambika or the Prophet? And I think the optimal colour scheme depends on who’s trying to read it. So I don’t know how anyone else could possibly answer that.

What I mean is is there a colour scheme for the ambika that would make the panel labelling easy to read? Also please can someone post a link to Tubome’s site thanks very much

http://www.tubeohm.com (did you use google? Its the first hit)

I still don’t understand the question. Different people have totally different opinions about what a good colour scheme would be. The only one who can answer that is the person/computer program who wants to read the panel labeling. So the only one who can answer this question is you. Or am I missing something?

There is not much panel labeling on the Ambika.
Most information is on the screen.
The ambika would be great if you could somehow connect a braille display to it.
I assume you have a braille display on your computer? Easiest would probably be to convert one of the midi editors for ambika to work with your braille display.

Thanks for the reply is everyone :slight_smile: @shiftr how easy do you think you would be to configure one of the midi editors for the ambika to work with the Mac OS X system voice? And provide feedback that way instead of with a Braille display?

Well i don’t use a midi editor and i don’t use the osx system voice… So i have no idea if it could be easy. But it should definitely be possible but i don’t know how handy it is.
I just tried to work a bit with the VO system in mac. I think working with a spoken voice and a synthesizer seems like a messy way to use a synth because the both use sound.
But like TheSlowGrowth said. A full synthesizer with a knob per function would maybe be a lot easier for you. I imagine you could get a memory of where every function is really quickly by touch.
Why are you interested in the Ambika?

The ambika works with a screen with 8 potmeters next to it controlling the 8 parameters displayed simultaneously on the screen.
Under the screen with potmeters
There are 8 buttons that are accessing about 20 different menu’s that are grouped under a logical button
There is also a rotary encoder. It works in many ways but usually controlling the highlighted parameter. Most of those things the rotary encoder controls can also be controlled by a pot.
The encoder is most used when stepping thru presets.