Ambika Custom Cases AVAILABLE FROM TODAY!

Ladies and Gentleman, fellow Knights from the Ambika Pioneers run,

finally we’ve sorted it out and its ready, the “official” Layout of the Ambika Standard Clear Case Kit (A6SC^2K):

Top / Front View

Top / Back View

Bottom View

The Ambika Standard Clear Case Kit contains

• 6 precision Laser Cut 3mm Evonik™ Plexiglas™ Panels for the Case
  • all Hardware to mount all 6 VoiceCards to the MoBo
  • all Hardware to mount the MoBo inside the Case
  • all hardware to mount the Case
  • 4 clear Stick on Feet
  • VictoryCandy™
  • everything nicely Packed in a rugged Cardboard Box.

As long as Mutable Instruments doesn’t carry the Cases on Stock you may order the Standard Clear Case Kit directly from me (the price is the same), please contact me directly via fcdaniels (ät) me (dot) com. Ill throw in a free engraving to your choice for the brave Pioneer Run participants.

Later this week ill present the Ambika Standard Matte Black Case which will be a bit more expensive due to the higher price of Satinice Plexiglas and a bit more cutting.

For other custom options feel free to drop me a line anytime. Base Price is the Clear Case, all colors available as 3mm Sheet from the Evonik Shop are possible and I’m intrigued to hear for your other Ideas…

Addendum:

Before i answer this question every time in an eMail:

Special colors from the Shop will

• take longer as i have to order them from there and have them not on Stock and will order them together in a Batch to share the Shipping Evonik charges
  • will be more expensive. Ill have to order one big sheet (for costs) and cut it by hand in my Kitchen to machine sized small panels. Be prepared that such a custom color starts at about +25€ in addition to the clear cases, a bit depending on the color (Radiant is obviously a bit more expensive than White)

Good work, Frank. Looking forward to seeing the black one. I’m not as proud of my soldering/board-cleaning skills as some, I think :wink:

a|x

How about RubyRed or Dark Blue translucent a|x… together with all these LEDs and a Window for your Display…

This is looking great :slight_smile:

I’ve got just one question : why did you use this kind of knob for the encoder, and not the kind of knobs we’re used to with other mutable products?

I’m going to drop you an e-mail.

@MicMicMan
Its just that i had nothing else at hand - if you take a closer look its just bare boards with the jacks/Pots plugged in because i had no time to solder my Ambika yet…

Uj Uj Uj! Gotta ponder this all before writing an email this evening :slight_smile:

@fcd72 I already have a couple of MI products with red enclosures, and one with a blue one, so I don’t think I’ll go for those. I’m thinking maybe smokey brown or dark grey.

a|x

@fcd72 I notice no hole for the encoder. Is there enough leeway for the encoder to be pressed with the knob from the BOM?

a|x

@toneburst
good Question. Ill have to negotiate with Olivier, he sent ma a knob with the Proto ill need to identify. Looks like a Standard Knob just without marking…

Yeah, think it’s the same depth. The length of the encoder shaft will have an impact on whether it would work without a hole, too, I imagine.

a|x

Before i answer this question every time in an eMail:

Special colors from the Shop will

• take longer as i have to order them from there and have them not on Stock and will order them together in a Batch to share the Shipping Evonik charges
  • will be more expensive. Ill have to order one big sheet (for costs) and cut it by hand in my Kitchen to machine sized small panels. Be prepared that such a custom color starts at about +25€ in addition to the clear cases, a bit depending on the color (Radiant is obviously a bit more expensive than White)

Other Things:

• if you are not super short with your money please consider just ordering the Full Hardware Kit, saving me from preparing 25 different Packs (and possibly screwing everything). You wouldn’t save the 50$ you spent in the US anyway and some Spacers + Nuts + Bolts are handy to have as these are all MutableInstruments Standard Parts
  • if you need different sized Holes for your Buttons or Encoder please just pass me the Dimensions saving me from downloading reading all those Datasheets + it will be your responsibility if the dimensions are wrong :wink:

Mail sent. This will become interesting :slight_smile:

Just to note that I actually have a case cut with these dimensions The encoder does not need a larger hole and can be pressed without hitting the top panel.

Just took a look to my Proto: If the Axis of the Encoder is as long as the Pots Axis everything is fine.

Guess I should make this question public, is it possible of fit the Optrex
LCD under the plexi lid, or does it need a cutout? I was thinking it should be possible to lower the LCD a few mm with some trickery.

@Jojjelito is the Optrex taller than a standard display?

a|x

I have the Optrex too (mounted as described on the “mechanical assembly” page) and it’s no higher than 5-6 mm above the PCB (the bodies of the potentiometers are higher, in fact).

There is 10mm Space between the top of the MoBo and the Case, so most LCD / VFD should fit. The only Reason for a Hole (with a Window of course…) would be an opaque case. BTW, thats enough space to socket the chips, my fellow 165 Friers…

A hole is handy for the VFD which really does need a slightly blue tinted cover over it.

Cool! I saw somehing about the display, but lost track of it due to summer and the sheer mass of posts.

There shall be a white on black Optrex tinted by whatever color the case will be :slight_smile:
Thus: we don’t need no stinking tinted displays. Yarr!