Ambika build

Hi guys,

after building some instruments and 2 Shruthi-1 I’ve finally started to assemble the Ambika kit I bought some months back from the MI website.

I ordered it with the white metal case, which has a power switch. I’m wondering if I need to bridge the SW pads during the assembly so I can test it with the AC plug and later unsolder them and replace with wire to use the switch ?

Also, having done just a few projects so far I still don’t have any wire around, I guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to buy some in my local shop, or maybe I could open some old electronic box I have around and just cut the wires so I can use them in the Ambika ?

Thanks guys,

Ogait

Thank you :wink:

Gonna desolder that 10k then… I’ve cut the legs already I really hope I can manage to put it in the right place now :confused:

Another question:

on 1x 10k (brown, black, black, red) or lower (down to 4.7k); The 10k resistor just above the resistor network RN1 determines the gain of the final mixing stage. A value of 10k might cause clipping if the level of all voicecards is set to the maximum value and if all 6 voicecards are playing at the same time. To prevent this, a lower value of 6.8k or 4.7k is recommended. You can keep 10k if you do not plan to install all 6 voicecards in your Ambika.

I’ve soldered the 10k here, however, when I reached the step of - Add a 10k resistor (brown, black, black, red) near the ATMega (it pulls up the RST line of the MCU). - I have no 10k resistors left but only a 4.7k. I’m guessing I switched up the 10k resistor for the final mixing stage with the 4.7k one right ? I should’ve soldered this 4.7k one there since I’m gonna use the 6 voicecards ? :confused:

Thanks guys,

Ogait

> I’m wondering if I need to bridge the SW pads during the assembly so I can test it with the AC plug and later unsolder them and replace with wire to use the switch ?

Yes, you can do that.

> I’m guessing I switched up the 10k resistor for the final mixing stage with the 4.7k one right ?

Probably!

The plastic on the outside of the resistor got a little burnt while using the braid but after removing the plastic it looks alright. It still measures 10k in the multimeter, should I use it ?

> It still measures 10k in the multimeter, should I use it ?

Yes.

Thanks Olivier !

The motherboard is done and everything is tested except the midi :wink:

Can’t wait to get into the voice cards.

I have 6x SMR4 cards. I was wondering if I can build the synth and later do a couple of Ladder filters or 4P and switch them up whenever I want ?

> I was wondering if I can build the synth and later do a couple of Ladder filters or 4P and switch them up whenever I want ?

Yes, it’s flexible. You can mix and match voicecards, or run the synth with only 1 or 2 voicecards installed. Whichever voicecards you use, the motherboard is not changed.

Great !

Just finished it and it’s sounding great :wink: Thank you for all the help !

I realised that I don’t like the white metal case that much. I was wondering which colour was this one and if it’s possible to get it from someone ?

Edit: Also, I keep wondering where is the Snap function that the Shruthi-1 has ? Not finding it on the menus nor the manual :confused:

Search for snap in the manual

That looks like the black acrylic case. The plastic cases come up used on here from time to time. Or you could get one made using the case files. I’d say to contact fcd72 but he’s too busy.

I’ve got a clear case for trade, but you’re obviously set on having a dark case :slight_smile:

That’s one of mine. It’s this stuff with a clear window

Thanks pichenettes ! I eventually found it I just didn’t think it would be in the patch area ahah.

Altitude, it looks really good congratulations ! Is there any chance I could get one from you with everything ready to assemble ?

I don’t understand anything about getting a case done…the cutting, engravings and the window… perhaps it’s time I learn so I can make them myself in the future. How easy is it ?

I dont sell cases, that’s just the standard laser case that should be in the repo. I had that made at Ponoko

You can still buy a case here (bottom of the page).

ogait,
this is also an option if you can place an order thru ponoko
laurentidesynthworks has a small walk-thru

Thank you very much sumdumguy !

Would anyone share the procedure to get the official MI engravings instead of the laurentide ones and how to get the clear window for the LCD ? The file laurentide has on his website doesn’t seem to have a hole for the window.

Thanks guys

I’ve found the one with the original engravings on the repo :wink: just need to figure out the clear window now…

Don’t bother with the window. If you use a display with a black background, the gray is fine.

I used that material for the windows in this thing