Alternative 863-MC74HC165ANG for ambika pcb

Hi,
on mouser the minimum value of this component (863-MC74HC165ANG) is 1500.
Somoene have an alternative solution.
Thanks

595-SN74HC165N

All published BOMs updated.

Yes great.
When did you modified your BOM, Please because I think i modified other parts of my BOM

A few seconds ago. I just replaced OM semi references by TI references for 74xxx chips.

ok thank you
just for your information there is a problem on 4 lines on the bom

N° Mouser : 571-1-390261-2
Desc. : DIP8 socket

N° Mouser : 571-1-390261-4
Desc. : DIP16 socket
Pièce non retrouvée

N° Mouser : 571-1-390262-5
Desc. : DIP40 socket

N° Mouser : 652-PEC12R-4225F-S24
Desc. : Rotary encoder w/ switch, 24 s …

Sockets are EOL but still available. No need to worry and alternative parts are very easy to find.

Encoder is out of stock at the moment, there is no known replacement at Mouser.

Or use a 652-PEC12R-4230F-S24 and cut it down.

I can confirm that 652-PEC11R-4220F-S24 from Mouser works just fine. It is listed as a “20mm encoder”, but if you look at the data sheet that is because the measurement does not include the base. The base is 6.5mm thick, making it effectively a 26.5mm encoder. The difference is not noticeable upon installation, see photos here.

However, if you look carefully from the side, yes you will notice that the encoder knob sits 1.5mm higher than the knobs. Takes some effort to spot the difference though!

One more thing about the 652-PEC11R-4220F-S24 that I have mentioned: Its two legs are too large for the holes in the PCB. They have to be cut off (can be done with wire cutters). If you cut them so they sit flush with the top of the PCB, you can actually still solder them to the board fairly easily. It does not take any time at all, and the end result looks just fine!

Don’t cut them off! They are important for the mechanical strength of the encoder. I always squeeze them a bit with pliers and then they will fit. You could also file them a bit but be careful where the dust ends up.

Is the same thing not achieved with cutting them and soldering the “stumps”? Although yes, your solution does sound better.

I guess it all depends on how wild your knob twiddling is… :wink:

Soldering is not intended for mechanical fixing, it’s really about electrical contact. If you depend solely on a solder joint to hold things together you will have problems later both mechanically and electrically.

That makes sense, thanks for explaining.

That’s why there are 2 extra very big solder lugs on PCB mounted pots because they do depend solely on solder for mechanical fixing. And that’s also why jack sockets and other sockets that take mechanical stress while plugging have such big solder lugs.

Yes, squeeze or file the lugs down a little. These lugs prevent the pot from moving and straining the solder joints.