Advise request for modular power supply

Hello,
I am new in the forum and I hope I post in the right place…

Tomorow I will receive my Mother 32 (yess!) and I plan to put Tides and other Mutable Instruments in another Moog Eurorack.
But this Eurorack doesn’t have power supply built in.

I am new to modular and I am interrested to receive advices about power supplies (brands, models, currents, etc.)
Thanks

You might want to check this article here, should give you some inputs to start:
http://www.horizontalpitch.com/2015/04/the-big-eurorack-psu-list-update-2-0/

What case do you have btw. ? Did you get the Moog one?

@rumpelfilter: hey thanks, very helpful article & list!
how about adding fc power to the list?
good and affordable diy solution for small systems…

hm, that meanwell power brick looks interesting. never new about that one. and it seems to be much cheaper now than in your list. 32 euro + vat at mouser rather than 76. but according to mouser, it’s also “Scheduled for obsolescence and will be discontinued by the manufacturer.”

@mic.w: yes sure, thanks for the link! I keep adding new PSUs to the list, so if you have more suggestions let me know! Also prices tend to change a lot, when I added the Meanwell power brick to the list it was 76 on Mouser. I’ll correct the price.

The Meanwell T-60B has a successor: T-65B…
Enough power to juice up my 9 HU rigg:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/130260 (the right upper corner is populated by xOx-heart/Pacemaker)

I think both the T-60B and T-65B were on the market at the same time and were then replaced by the RT-60B and RT-65B.

There is one thing I have heard about those lately: apparently Make Noise advised against those, saying that they might interfere with their modules like the Pressure Points and the René.

This is from the René manual:
“The René module is not compatible with power solutions using the MeanWell brand AC Adapters. The René module will not work on power solution using the MeanWell brand AC Adapters.”

And the same can be found on the Pressure Points manual. I wonder if it’s true or they just want to sell more of their own PSUs. I also have 2 of those and never had an issue with them, there’s far worse PSUs on the market, that get marketed as dedicated Modular-optimized PSU solutions.

Sorry for the mix-up, i meant RT series…

Actually i do not use any MakeNoise stuff, so i could not care less.
If there would be measurable ripple or noise, i would take appropriate countermeasures :wink:
But i do not experience any of such, as do other forum members, which do use Meanwell PSUs.

wait, that mouser price of 32 eur for those meanwell bricks actually already includes vat.
that makes it a no-brainer, doesn’t it? think i’ll get two of these while they last…

mouser prices usually don’t include VAT afaik… or do I remember that wrong?

hm yeah, i probably got that wrong.
still, it does look kinda attractive to me…

Not sure, but I think the issue with the Makenoise modules that use capacitance sensing (Rene, Pressure Points) relates to a floating ground - the Mean Well power bricks don’t have the DC ground connected to the mains ground. If so, that shouldn’t be an issue with the other Mean Well supplies, in which the DC ground can be connected to the mains ground when wiring the supply.

look at this…
Reichelt

@bb:

> the Mean Well power bricks don’t have the DC ground connected to the mains ground.

are you sure? according to the data sheet, they do have a “3 pole ac inlet / class 1 power (with earth inlet)”. would they use a 3-pole inlet, but not connect the gnd pin?

@picard:

yeah, but what i thought was attractive about those sealed bricks is that they seem safer for hobbyists like me, because you don’t have to mess with mains power.

but then, comparing the data sheets of the brick vs the rt-65b, it seems that the brick delivers less -12v current than the rt-65b:

-12v current range rt-64b: 0.1 … 1a
-12v current range brick: 0.1 … 0.5a

so that brick might not be a useful as i thought…

@mic.w, see this thread, in particular the advice given by Greame Hinton, who knows what he is talking about: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131748

By default, the mains earth and the COM (Gnd) on the Mean Wells are not connected. Thus you need to connect the mains earth to your eurorack power distribution board ground yourself. Not sure if it is possible to do that with the sealed Mean Well bricks. It is definitely possible with the normal Mean Well PSUs.

Until now, most explanations I have found, about how the connections from Earth to Ground should be made, were totally not understandable, vague or over-complicated. That thread (re-pasting it here to make it clickable: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131748) finally features a nice and understandable explanation.
Thanks Tim!

The only thing that still confuses me is how somebody like Hinton, who really knows this part about PSUs, uses totally misleading terminology like “digital PSU” to refer to PWM/Switching ones, which reminds me of people who call class D amps digital. There’s nothing digital in a switching psu afaik.

Mains earth is connected to the case of the meanwells, it is not connected to the COM

Thanks for all these interesting PSU informations.
As the Moog skiff has small depth and no ventilation holes I will choose a Mean Well P50A13D-R1B external PSU brick, but changing the MIDI like connector…

Some advices about small boards with cable and connectors for the inside of the skiff?
Thanks

altitude> Mains earth is connected to the case of the meanwells, it is not connected to the COM

Exactly. Hinton’s advice is that mains earth should be connected to binding posts on a brass rail, or similar, as a distribution point, and then both the PSU mains earth terminal and the ground terminals on each of your eurorack power distribution boards should be connected to that, as well as the ground terminal on the DC side of the PSU, of course. That ties all of them to the mains earth. And he stresses the importance of minimising resistance in these connections: use large-gauge, high quality copper wire with reliable low-resistance connections. And if you have multiple rack, this earth reference point should be tied together between them using large-gauge wire. I’m planning to re-do the Mean Well power in my racks to comply with this advice, probably using Anderson PowerPole connectors for the earth connections between racks (each rack has its own Mean Well).