Adding an additional arp mode?

Through the incredible goodwill of @pichenettes, I’m pretty sure every single feature request I’ve ever had for my beloved Mutable Instruments have become reality… except one: “smartarp.”

From the good old feature request thread :

An additional arpeggiator mode called something like “smartarp.” The selected arpeggio pattern will not activate unless there is more than one note to play, ie. an octave range greater than 1 is selected and/or more than 1 incoming MIDI note is played.

Yes, yesterday I successfully compiled my first hacked firmware with help and direction from Olivier and the wiki tutorial. Now that I know I can do this, the thought to attempt to add this arp mode popped back in my head. But should someone with little coding experience even attempt this? And is there even enough room left for this much code?

OK, I’ll take the silence as a vote of no confidence, eh?

I guess I should start small and try to figure out just how to change the current arp behavior to what I’m looking for. Truth be told, I can’t think of any situation where I personally would want to arp one note with a zero octave range.

Any tips? I’ve looked thru the code and thinking that just changing a pressed key condition from 1 to 2 with an octave range great than 1 is what I’d have to do. Possibly here ?

I say : Just try it out! :slight_smile:

> Truth be told, I can’t think of any situation where I personally would want to arp one note with a >zero octave range.

Someone needs to listen to more Blondie.

Sorry, I never played around with the arp. But, that looks like the right function to mess around with. You may want to just add an ‘if’ statement to the top of that start function. ie…

if(pressed_keys_.size() < 2)
{
return;
}

this is going to be much more complicated than that.

:slight_smile: Not surprised it’s not that easy. Good luck Bleo!