Acceptable CV levels for Braids

I’m considering buying Braids for use with CV outputs on a Moog Etherwave Plus theremin, which has nominal levels of \\2.5V - +4.5V on the pitch CV out (1V/oct) and 0 – 10V on the volume CV out(s).

Never used modules before and not sure if there are any conventions on CV levels for different manufacturers/synths. Braids specs don’t say anything about that, so I thought I’d better ask before trying :slight_smile: Will Braids work with the above levels? Thanks!

Yes it’ll work.

If I may do a piggyback on this question - what happens if you blast 12v, or -12v into an input that the manufacturer says is regulated for 5v ? I’m guessing that you just max said input, and no damage is done, unless the manufacturer skipped some protection parts for cost saving reasons?

In modular world, 99% of inputs consist of a resistor going into the inverting input of an op-amp (the rare exceptions I’m aware of are buffered multiples modules). Which means that the circuit senses current going through this resistor, rather than voltage. There is thus no risk of damaging parts with an excessive input voltage.

Excellent, thank you for confirming that(slightly silly fear of mine). :slight_smile:

I’ve noticed people recommend using a 1k resistor between the socket and input, is this why?

Who recommends this and for which circuit?

When I built my Erica polivoks filter some people recommended it to protect the audio inputs.

Looking at these schematics, there is no place where a 1k resistor in series with the input jacks would provide additional protection.

I’ll have to have a look at the board. Perhaps R14 and R15 aren’t on the PCB, hence why they were required inline.

These are outputs so this is clearly not for input protection :slight_smile:

The role of these is to avoid the op-amp output to be shorted if you connect by mistake the output of another module to the filter output.

Outputs aren’t inputs? ah. Maybe that’s where I’m going wrong :slight_smile:

And Ouputs are commonly protected by 68R….