A delay everyone would love

Amen, he was one of the greatest!
One of my life goals is having a huge print of one of his works on my living room wall.
My sister gave me this small one for christmas:

Love the little backstory on the painting they put on the back:

Cool! I have a poster which he made for an exhibition on sci-fi art, back in the early 2000.
Anyway… I see where’ derailing the thread here. so – putting the moderator hat on – if we don’t want this topic to end in a series of Capybara pictures, maybe we should get back to talking about delays.

I guess somebody could also just mod the Clouds delay firmware… it should be possible to add an external loop to it using the R in and R out

Doesnt the parasite firmware do this for the delay or something?

Yes it does.

One of my two 104 HP 6U cases is pretty much a Papernoise-case right now. Mostly Mutable Instruments, two Sonic Potions modules and Chronoblob 2. Feels niiiiiice. :blush:

I can hardly believe my eyes. That is quite a mug.

You are right, I had forgotten about that. I don’t use alternate modes, not even the ones that come with the official firmware. I get confused by the UI not representing what the module is doing, and I don’t want to mess with cheatsheets.
But of Matthias’ delay seems to tick lots of boxes of what has been mentioned here in the thread, doesn’t it? Also some people seem to be big fans of the delay that comes with the official firmware.
One might as well use it as a just delay and get a custom panel made with the proper labelling.

If I didn’t already have too many mugs I’d have bought that one for sure.

Last night I was watching some demos of Z-DSP, and the card that most intrigued me was Spring Waves, the waveguide delay. Not really a surprise since I am into both Rings and Aalto. With its many different algorithms available, open analog feedback loop, clock rate control etc. I expect I’d really like it. It’s just a bit larger and pricier (esp. after also buying 3 or 4 cards) than I’d prefer and would still require external envelope followers/compressors for some of the feedback stuff I’d like to do.

The Z-DSP is based on the Spin Semiconductor FV-1 DSP chip, which has a relatively small amount of RAM. It’s enough for reverb, but long delays aren’t possible (at least at a reasonable quality).

Having said that, the Chronoblob doesn’t do looper-pedal-length delays, either.

The Reflex Liveloop is a pretty good example of the kind of things that can be done with delay in a Euro module.

It’s also a great illustration of the dangers of trying to cram too much functionality into a single module- the UI is a mess.

yes, that’s a real pity, because done differently that would be a killer module for me.

Ive always wondered why Sandrine did it in such a small form factor. Why not make a nice big 28hp module with a killer UI, some visual feedback and attenuverters on every input.

I really like the interface on Tyme Sefari, which feels “patch programmable” rather than putting everything into separate modes. Unfortunately it’s stuck with a low sample rate – an aesthetic choice I’d like to make only sometimes.

The 4ms DLD is almost there, but it lacks a way to disable the looping behavior and trigger playback.

My thought process about this stuff is a large part of why I went for the ER-301. (Of course its other capabilities are what tipped the scales; it’s expensive to only use it as a delay/looper/sampler/recorder).

Say whatvyou will about the size and interface restrictions becauseof its size, but the mannequins w/ is super rad for absurdly long delays (up to about 90 min at full resolution, 45 min at double speed or something absolutely stupidly long with the “tape” slowed way down). It does not like short delays though.

It can be part of a complex, clock sync’d delay loop and the feedback path is only as limeted as the modules you pair it with.

Certainly not an all in one unit, but with creative patching, it can do some things that no other delay I’ve tried can.

When patched as a delay, I usually try to think of it only as a long delay buffer with a feedback level controlled via cv offset, then it all just sort of makes sense!

W/ is neat for what it does, and I really enjoyed overdubbing onto it with pitch shifts etc. But the interface does seem too limited for its own good IMHO, while also being a bit more complex than it needed to be in other areas. Also for several weeks after its release it has a lot of bugs which were complicated by the difficulty of using the interface, and some features it has now weren’t available yet.

But it was pretty influential on my choices – or maybe call it a gateway drug :laughing: It got me curious about Teletype, which I bought when I realized I could replace my Euclidean sequencers and a clock divider and burst generator with it, and now it’s my favorite sequencing module. It also got me thinking about delays as a modular tool as opposed to just end-of-chain effects (leading to Tyme Sefari and Chronoblob, and now ER-301 (!)), and also about pitch/time shifting (leading to Red Panda Tensor).

I also think the 2hp w/ just seems a bit cheeky. But im particular in this, my ideal module size is 12-14hp…
the only 2hp modules i think worth buying are logic combiners and multiples.

The w/ is another one of those modules which on paper was totally down my alley. But 2HP, really? They immediately lost me on that. I still don’t understand the reasoning behind that. All other Mannequins modules have just the right size and what seems to be a nice interface. I’m sure there was some rationale behind it though. I guess I could just drop them an email as ask. :slight_smile:

Agreed. I owned one but that interface just asked waaaay too much of me, so I sold it.

It’s not so much the size that’s the issue. It’s the fact practically every control does something completely different in each of the 3 operating modes.

What they should have done IMHO, was make each mode into a discrete module, with at least as many dedicated controls.

There’s definitely enough functionality in each mode to justify a separate module.

Excellent job. My favorite delay, and I have a stupid amount of them. Simple, musical and intuitive.