6U or 9U, That is the Question

Sooo,
My plan is currently to put together an all 6U case of MI goodness (all apart from Pamela’s Workout) to go with my allready done Doepfer rack.

My Mutable plan… http://modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/50673
My Doepfer case… http://modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/41875

I’m part way there and I should have it all together in the next 2 months or so, but I’m in a bit of a quandary.
My plan as a 6U case is based on the currently available modules and the ones in the pipeline that are on modular grids. This would make a stunning case, but… What happens if a few months down the line there are some new modules announced, I’d then have to sell the 6U case and replace it with a 9U one…
Is this likely to happen?

So, should I just get a 9U for MI straight off?

I think I know the answer to this already, I’m just trying to feel less guilty about it by pretending that you guys told me to do it.

There are new modules in preparation, from 6-HP to 28-HP. But you have to start with something :slight_smile:

You should get 12u :wink:

@pichenettes
That’s scary to hear, but also brilliant. :slight_smile:

@sammy123
Damn, that’s what I was afraid of.

whatever it will be you’ll want more…
and more
and more
and even more.

Very true. I guess I’ll start with a 9U then.
At least that way I’ll have some room for future modules.

So far I just have the Anushri, Grids and Ripples. I’ll be getting Braids next week when I get paid.
Olivier, I’ll just add your name to my bank account to make life easier. :slight_smile:

And so it begins. :slight_smile:

9U lasts for half a year to my experience…

3 months! Tops…

My Doepfer rack soon outgrew my original 6U, it took me about 4 months to realise 6U wasn’t enough, so I got 12U. But then slowed down a lot until it was eventually full.
I think that’s me done on that though now, I might swap out an occasional module here and there, but won’t be adding any more Cases full of Doepfer.

I had no real plans to start another case whatsoever until I saw the new MI modules that just really struck a chord with me.
And I’m a bit anal and like cohesive one manufacturer cases, with the same aesthetics/design and thought process running through a whole system.
I know I’m in the minority regarding this though.

Naa, I’m in the somewhat organized camp too. I’ll group modules loosely based on manufacturer and looks. Harvestman doing their thing, Mutable in it’s group/row, all the clarke68/DIY stuff in a row or two etc. It’s not as far as whole cases, but at least I’m attempting rows.

Im off: i group by functionality…
1st Row Filters, WaveShapers, VCAs, Sound Sources and Audio Mixer
2nd Oscillators/Sound Sources
3rd Modulations: LFOs and Envelopes (and the O’tool…)
4rd Haptic Touchy Modules, Plumbing, I/O, Grids, more Modulations (S/H, Random) and what doesnt fit anywhere else…

start with 1 nZimmer

Um…
Just took delivery of a monster case to go with my monster base.

I’m doomed.

I know a brilliant divorce lawyer….

Ha ha. I wish I’d known you a few years ago. I could have done with one.

Shouldn’t this case be named the divorce instigator ™? It’s lovely! Congrats :slight_smile:

Or the “I’m single and live with my cat” case.
I guess one leads to another though. :slight_smile:

Been there, done that :slight_smile: Guess that’s a phase the serious gear head has to go through as rite of passage into Gearocalyptica. It was good for the soul they say™

Based on ModularGrid I could pretty easily fill 104HP / 9U, so I’m thinking of going 12U, so there’s some room for expansion, and it doesn’t get completely out of control. Oh wait, 416HP is probably already out of control.

"I’m thinking $4,000+ to build a modular synth is a perfectly reasonable limit to set- otherwise it might get out of hand!’

=)