2 function requests for Marbles

I have two function requests for Marbles. I do not know if this is already possible (so sorry in advance). I would like to:

1. Triad Function: Where X1,2 & 3 output static voltages that can be used with three sound sources to make a Triad.

2. Stand Alone Quantizer: (I feel this may be possible with sampling external CVs with the X generator but I am unsure.

• Nick
1 Like
  1. What do you mean by triad? Which relationship should there be between the 3 outputs? How will this interact with the rest of the features of the module? Should they be random?
  2. Yes, you can put the X section in external CV processing mode, and patch your CV to the SPREAD (external) input, and the trigger to the X’s clock input… and then the STEPS knob can be used as a standalone lag processor or quantizer.

As in “triad” I mean this,Triad (music) - Wikipedia. For function could it act like Chords With Ornament & Crime Harrington 1200 Mode - YouTube.

• Nick
1 Like

It doesn’t make much sense. In fact it doesn’t at all. Do you want to alter the relationship of the triad with the tick of a clock? Do you want to have it drone on the same relationship, let’s say a mayor chord? Do you want to make it minor in some point?
If you want it static just tune your VCOs to the desired relationship.
If you want to alter it, how would marbles know what voltage to change? X1, X2, X3?

Cheers

I was thinking the range of the relationship of the triad would be determined by the Spread knob, and the change would be done by the internal clock, or external. The Steps could be used to change the quality ( major, minor, diminished and augmented). Could static voltages be the wrong terminology? Here is another video of the concept I am trying to explain: https://youtu.be/lR660Q_cwfQ

• Nick

Ok, first of all Marbles is not intended to work that way and would need yet another mode.
By the tick of a clock Marbles doesn’t look at the spread control for information to sample. Spread simply controls how wide or narrow the window for the output voltages is. In other words how likely a voltage can be present at X.
Secondly there are other modules that perform the task much better. I’m thinking in Instruo Harmonaig, WMD triad, or tELHARMONIC, Rings also has an Easter egg that you can select chords.

I still don’t get how would you make an inversion of a chord or chromatically change a chord, etc.

Saludos!

Thanks DeGoyen,

Do you know if the tELHARMONIC can produce CV signals?

• Nick

Nick,

It doesn’t. It’s an oscillator that can produce 3 types of synthesis. Think of it as 3 oscillators that have controls for the interval (from mayor, to inversions, to chromatic, to fifths, to unison, to octave apart, to 2 octaves apart) and a control to control the degree of the interval, this allows to make minor chords.
It also has a mode that’s called shift register mode, you can create any chord by sending a sequence to the degree parameter and interval acts like a quantizer for the “permitted” notes on the chord.
But is an oscillator not a CV source.

Saludos!